Guitar manufacturing

Here's a link to Taylor guitars that shows some of the manufacturing process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I also thought they might interest the woodworkers here. There are several clips starting with the one on this link. I haven't watched them all yet but the bending machines were pretty slick.

O.

Reply to
Mike O.

On that same subject, any woodworker should appreciate DIY channel's "Handmade Music" and particularly the two series with Lynn Dudenbostel ... the epitome of master woodworker/luthier.

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you for the link.

Stephen R.

> Mike O.

Reply to
S R

Roger that. I can appreciate both. I own a Taylor and they are beautiful guitars. My only complaint with Lynn's show is that it seems they only air the same show or two around here. Or maybe I just get "lucky" and remember to tune in on the days that happen to be re-plays. No question though, he's a great luthier.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Great link. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

> Mike O.

Reply to
Leon

That seems to be all that DIY and the other satelite stations have; two or three shows that they continually play over and over and over. It would be nice to see a new episode sometime of any of their shows.

Or, I guess that I could go back to watching network TV...NAW, I will just continue to watch the repeats and gripe and complain about how many times I have already seen it! LOL

There is a new show, however, on RFDTV. It is called the 'Practical Woodworker'. It is not too bad. I think it is just a couple of guys who got together and started filming someone making projects. It doesn't seem to have that 'professionally' filmed aura about it. But, I am seeing repeats of this one, too.

Make more sawdust,

Woodworkerdan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

Reply to
Dan

I agree. Watching Lynn's shows inspired me to take a big jump and build my own guitar, following his process and a blueprint from Stewart-McDonald. I even bought my spruce from the same guy that Lynn got his from.

L> > process. If you're in to guitars the clips are interesting but I

Reply to
mwbrown42

> Michael Brown

outstanding - what a project! You did Lynn proud, that's for sure. Thanks for all the detailed photos and info too. Handmade Music is a great show, esp. the Dudenbostel segment. I'm just getting started in woodworking, but one of these years I'm hoping to tackle a homemade cittern/Irish bouzouki. I've got a lot to learn and an awful lot of tools to acquire, but your project provides good inspiration...

Reply to
mjd

> Michael Brown

Mike, what a terrific job. How does the guitar sound?

Reply to
Geo

>>> Michael Brown

I found it interesting that he spent almost the same amount of money on supplies and tools as he did on the guitar materials.

This was not a modest undertaking. It took considerable time and money.

Mr Brown should be complimented on this considerable accomplishment. Many would not have taken on such a project. Or would have they finished such a project. (That would include me at this stage of my life)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

mjd, Geo and Lee,

Thank you for the kind words about my guitar project. I was hunting around for a project to really challenge me to try something different, and the guitar certainly fit the bill. I didn't know it was going to turn out to be quite so expensive, but now I have all the tools and jigs I need to build another one. Will I? Not until the memories of those 135 hours fade... :^)

I'm a duffer as a guitar player but it sounds good to me. Other people who have played it say it feels and sounds good to them. Actually the key to the whole project is the spruce top... giving just a light strum produces a loud and sustained sound which you wouldn't get from any other type of wood.

Michael Brown

Lee Michaels wrote:

mwbrown42