Dado blade

I'm not a pro, hell I'm not even really a hobyist. To make a long story short, I've recently picked up a dado blade for my table saw. It's one of those rotating, expando type with two blades. I've got minor problems at the extremes of width (slightly concave/convex dados) - but I can live with that for the types of projects I'm working on.

I have one issue, however, that I can't live with. The blade width is set by rotating the two halves against each other and the width expands/contracts to whatever width you want.

Herein lies the problem. No matter how tight I crank the nut when mounting the blade, there's slippage in the two halves of the blade that cause the width to expand (it always expands and never contracts. No matter what width I set it at, or how hard I crank the nut after it's mounted, the slippage occurs. I can't keep it set on any width as very soon after it starts spinning, it starts slipping and starts to open up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jason W. Paul

Reply to
Jason Paul

I suggest they outlaw that type of dado blade. I think you will get much better results from a stacked set, even a cheap one. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Clarification for a newbie...

Would the blade on this link be a stached dado that you speak of?

Reply to
Corey

08

Yep, that's is a "stacked" dado set.

Simply a _set_ of saw blades, usually 6" or 8" in diameter, consisting of two outside blades that look like your typical table saw blade; a number of varying thickness "chippers", with two or more teeth, that are mounted between the two outside blades on the table saw's arbor; and a set of "shims", plastic or metal, that are mounted between the blades and chippers to adjust the "stack" for a desired width of cut.

Reply to
Swingman

Hi Jason,

I have been a amateur woodworker (for want of a better term) for almost 15 years now. I bought my first dado like yours about 10 years ago (Sears Excalibur) for about $75. It is not perfect and requires numerous adjustments to get a decent fit. However, I have used it on everything from pressure treated 2 x 12 for garden/deck to fine Pennsylvania cherry for a raised panel blanket chest for my wife's 50th. Sure, I had to chisel some flat bottoms etc, but it has served well for these years.

I must have arrived at another level of woodworking or something, because I tired of all the minor inconvenience and bought a Freud SD508 for about $160 (Amazon) - just last week - has not arrived yet.

If I was sure that I would progress with woodworking, I could have saved myself $85 and some grief over the years.

On the other hand, now have the Sears for "rough" projects & the Freud for fine furniture.

Just my 2ç.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Ummmmm..........yard art?

Go get a good stacked dado set. There is no compromise here. The m> I'm not a pro, hell I'm not even really a hobyist. To make

Reply to
Mapdude

Reply to
items4sale

As has been extensively reported here, you take your chances with HF dado blades. For the exact same stock number, some are pretty good and some stink. I lucked out and got a good one, but there's a lot who have gotten $20-60 worth of Chinese junk.

I've come to the conclusion that made in Chinese isn't necessarily going to mean it's junk. It just that the chances of it being junk are better than average. They seem to have a pretty crappy quality control system.

I'm guess>Chect out

We have a store here in Raleigh and you

snipped

Reply to