lv blade supports+qt10

Hi everyone,

purchased a new saw blade ad decided to use the LV saw stabalizer ( washers). This move the blade far enough from the arbour so the blade no longer goes through the insert that came with the saw. Went LV to purchase the delta zero clearance inserts but of course this saw is an odd size.. Does anyone use the blade stabalizers? and does anyone know wher to get zero clearence inserts? need two one for regular blade one for dato set.

TIA john

Reply to
John

I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't you put the stabilizer on the nut side of the blade instead of the arbor side. That way it should not move the blade with respect to the table insert. Since most saws (my PM66 at least) have a washer with the nut that is the same diameter as the arbor shoulder, the stabilizer should be equally effective on either side.

I for one don't see a need for a stabilizer with a dado set. Just my $0.02.

John wrote:

Reply to
Paul C. Proffitt

You put the stabalizer on the wrong side.

You make them from 1/2" MDF. A small piece will yield about 8 or 10 of them. I lost the instructions that someone posted here a long time back, but essentially, you cut a blank to approximate size, use a pattern bit to trim it exact, add the leveling screws and done. Took me about 1/2 hour or so to make a bunch. For the dado, you probably want to have a wide and a narrow so it is handy to have blanks around.

It was either Leon, or Unisaw that posted the instructions.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Get some MDF or Melamine and make all you want. Use the original as a template and after rough sawing out the insert (a bit oversize) use your router and a template bit to make it exactly the same as the original. Since you don't mention what saw, hard to say how THICK the inset needs to be. I use 3/4 inch melamine for my Delta Unisaw, gotta route the bottom of the blank insert to get it to fit, but once you figure that out, it is simple to crank out half a dozen or so in an hour. Drill and thread in set screws for leveling look at original insert for where to put the setscrews

John

Reply to
John

The Lee Valley blade stiffener consists of a two washer set. See:

no(SPAM)vasys

I agree, I have a pair. Stiffeners are placed on both sides of a blade and their equal size goes to balancing the blade. Just putting one on, (either side) means that the other side is of a different size and that contributes to warping the blade when the arbour nut is fastened down.

Necessarily, when stiffeners are used, a new insert has to be cut to fit.

Reply to
Upscale

There are two types of stiffeners on the market. One type has a cross section like a C so it only contacts the blade along the rim. These are meant to be used in pairs. However there is another type which is basically a large diameter, thick flat washer. This is meant to be used as a single on the nut side of the blade. John

Reply to
John