wobble dado

at first it sounds like an interesting idea but introducing a little too much chaos for me

they are inexpensive but would not think it would be good for the saw or the material or the operator

who has used a wobble dado

the cut could not have come out very good

Reply to
Electric Comet

You want cheap or quality? You want "close enough" or professional cuts and fit? The corners won't be as square because of the way it cuts. Another opinion here

Ed Pawlowski

Actually the sides of the dado are square to the surface of the material but the bottom is rounded so it is not square to the sides of the dado.

I have used a wobble dado many times.

It is not harmful to the saw and it runs very smoothly.

From there, the cuts suck. The wobble dado sets cut rounded bottom dados. If you are using construction grade lumber and need to cut dados the wobble dado will suffice for rough work.

Don't use if for furniture.

Reply to
Leon

Contrary to the article you pointed at, my wobble dado did not ever vibrate. Probably cus it was a Craftsman. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I have a Craftsman Excalibur.

Do you want buy it?

I also have an Amana stacked dado set. A gift from a really nice (and talented) woodworker.

That one is not for sale.

Square sides, rounded bottom

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bought a Craftsman "Excalibur" carbide dado set back when I still thought the Craftsman name meant something. This set used two blades joined by a hub that rotated to change the V angle between the blades. Greater angles produced a wider dado. The bottom of the dado also became very concave as the dado got wider, so forget about any kind of visible joint, or getting any kind of glue strength. The real flaw is that the dado width also changed up to 1/32" with the tightness of the arbor nut. Cutting an exact width required much trial, error and luck. Set the hub, tighten the nut, make a test cut, loosen the nut, adjust, tighten, test, oops - not the exact same torque on the nut, start over, ad nauseum. So, no good for finger joints and no repeatability. I had that piece of crap in our neighborhood garage sale twice a year for ten years, at ever lower prices. Never had a nibble and finally threw it in the recycling dumpster at work.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

They aren't too scary. They're really not any more dangerous than a stacked set. I used on on my Sears RAS but haven't used it since.

Probably most here.

The cut is fine. The bottoms aren't flat, though.

Reply to
krw

Mine doesn't vibrate either. It just sits there at the bottom of the cabinet.

Reply to
krw

wow yeah i had never heard of one of these and i could not imagine them working at all well

have seen a few tables with saw blades resined into the top good for a man cave

i save all my old blades because i think i will make something some day maybe recycling is the better idea

Reply to
Electric Comet

I think mine is in a dump somewhere.

Reply to
Leon

I want both.

Wobble and stack both do good sidewalls; I prefer router cuts to get flat bottoms, though. Routed dado cuts can be stopped more easily, too.

That's half-true; a wobble dado blade is sharpened for ONE width to get a flat-bottomed cut, and narrower cuts have a ridge down the kerf center, while wider have dished bottoms.

If all you want is a dado to guide some slide-in inserts, wobble is fine. It doesn't require you to keep track of a lot of washers and chippers, such as are missing from my several part-sets of stacked dado blades...

Reply to
whit3rd

I do. From time to time. The slightly rounded bottom can be handled in a couple of ways...

  1. Ignore it.

  1. Clean it. I have a dado cleaning router bit for that purpose.

But mostly, I use my wobble dado to hog out most but not all of the dado/groove I want. It does that very well. I then finish with one pass of a router bit for final width and depth.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'll bite, what is that one width?

If you have problems keeping up washers/shims and chippers,,,,,,,,

Reply to
Leon

Sold my hand me down one on Ebay.

Reply to
Markem

Vaires by manufacturer but I think it's 3/4" on mine.

Was wondering about that myself. Even if you lose them, they're available separately. The magnetic ones work really well.

Reply to
krw

How do you guide the router? Seems if you're going to all that trouble it would be easier to just use the router.

Reply to
krw

True, in some cases and as usually it just depends on what you're doing. While router bits are great for making, clean, precise, square cuts, they are not particularly well suited for hogging out a bunch of material.

As people will do with rough cutting down plywood into smaller sections, then doing the precise cutting on the TS, I've done the opposite on a few projects that made it more efficient for me. You hog out the bulk of material on the TS, quickly and with little effort. They you clean it up with a precise cut using the router.

Maybe one day I'll spend the cash for an excellent set of dado blade that do, in fact, produce a perfectly straight and square bottom withOUT bat ears and I won't feel the need to clean the cut up with the router.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I was thinking as close to the narrowest setting.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you here but consider this and let me know if I am missing something.

Regardless of grind if the blade is straight up and down,the narrowest setting and perpendicular to the work it will make the narrowest cut.

As you widen the wobble the blade does not protrude as far up as with the perpendicular setting "on the outsides of the cut". The teeth at the center of the blade still cuts deep and the tips of the blade, near the outer edge of the cut, do not cut as deeply. Easier to visualize using a pendulum and or a plum bob that just touches the surface and when you swing it away it no longer touches the surface.

The ones that came with my Forrest Dado set are rubber magnetic and one have gotten away after hundreds of uses.

Reply to
Leon

A "short" top bearing flush cut bit could flatten the bottom. But that would only flatten the bottom.

Reply to
Leon

That should have said NONE have gotten away.

Reply to
Leon