Cutting inside corners with a router

Hi. I have and L shaped hard maple counter that I want to chamfer. If I run the router into the inside corner of the L will it make a clean cut, or will something funny happen there? Also I was concerned about lopping off a chunk of wood while rounding the corner on the top of the L and cutting across the grain, but I was told if I have a new, sharp bit there will be no problem there.

-- Any comments appreciated.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

lopping off a

cutting

THe cut will be clean but it will miss the very inside of the corner, you'll have to clean that up with a chisel, and if you use a sharp bit shouldn't need to worry about going across the grain.

Reply to
damian penney

It will leave a little area on the inside corner that you can clean up by hand later (nice sharp chisel). Do the cross grain cut first and any chipout that occurs as the bit approaches the edge will then be removed as you rout that side with the grain.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

The corner wil be round.

Also I was concerned about lopping off a

On the corner where you will be cutting cross grain, route backwards, clockwise, on the right hand corner of the piece when the router is between you and the piece of wood. And make lite passes near those corners. This will help to prevent tear out.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Bob Bowles

LOL. That is what I was trying to say. I do the two opposite corners and then go in the traditionally direction.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Thanks for the responses. For some reason I'm not getting all the posts so I have to go to google. Hopefully it is a temporary thing with Optimum Online.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White