Curious

Harvey sent me (and everyone, I suspect) a flyer for their turbine dust collector. It's interesting so I looked at competitive dust collectors. There are performance differences and it's not easy to compare one against another (intentionally, I'm sure).

They all look pretty weird but the thing that really stood out was the current specifications for the Laguna dust collector motors.

For 100% efficiency, Laguna, Jet, Grizzly, and a reference motor manufacturer (Harvey was 3-phase, so not worth looking further)

HP 100% Laguna Jet Grizzly Reference eff. (motor Manf)

1.5HP 4.9 9.4A 14A 7.5A 6A 2.0HP 6.5 14A 8.3A 9A 6.8A 3.0HP 9.8 22A 13A 15A 9.6A

Grizzly made sense but the others are odd, really odd.

Reply to
krw

I have seen some of the reviews of the Harvey DC after the reviewers have had it for a year.

In general it is OK. The biggest feature brought to light is that most "new" reviewers claim how quiet it operates. But if you actually want it to have suction equal to the competition, you have to turn up the suction and it is no longer quiet.

IMHO it has way too large of a foot print.

Reply to
Leon

Laguna usually measures in KW, not amps (which makes sense, since the current varies based on the voltage, but power consumption in KW is constant regardless of supply voltage).

2.2kW is about 3HP. 1.4KW is about 2HP.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

OK, 2.2kW is 9.6A at 230V (what the motor manufacturer specs), not

22A, as Laguna states. The Laguna manual states 20A at 220V (4.8kW) and requires a 30A circuit.

Specification for both 2HP and 3HP versions:

krw

I suspect someone confused 2.2KW with 22A somewhere, likewise 1.4KW with 14A; perhaps a translation error along the way somewhere.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's a better explanation that I could come up with (Chinglish) but why the 30A circuit. Extrapolated bad translation? If I were really interested in a new DC (maybe but not all that likely soon) I'd call and ask. I just found it inexplicable.

Reply to
krw