Harvey Table Saw

A friend of mine is using it. The blades have stopped spinning. What can we do about it? Thank you for your help in advance.

Reply to
TABETHA LOCKWOOD

Some more information would be useful.

Is the motor running and the blade not spinning or is nothing happening or is it something in between those two?

Describing the symptoms in more detail will help us help you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The motor runs. But the blade does not turn.

We checked that there was nothing between it, the engine. We couldn't find anything to break the connection.

Thanks for being interested.

Reply to
TABETHA LOCKWOOD

It sounds like the belt has gone walkabout. If so, it may be time to upgrade to a LinkBelt.

Reply to
krw

Check the owners manual.

Here's a youtube video with a possible cause :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

There should be something between the blade and motor - a belt.

I don't know what you mean by that. Break what connection?

What happens if you try to spin the blade by hand, with the saw unplugged of course. Does it free-wheel (spin with no resistance)? Any side to side wobble?

Have you removed the blade insert and looked down into the saw?

Does it make any noise other than what you'd expect from the motor, like rubbing or rattling?

Could be a broken belt, a loose arbor pulley, a loose pulley at the motor, etc. I'd toss in a loose blade but I think you'd see *some* movement or hear some noise.

Hard to offer much advice sight unseen. More detail might help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Looks like the Harvey saws are belt drive. Actually, they look like nice saws.

Scott Lurndal

Harvey is a relatively new woodworking equipment tool manufacturer. They apparently have been building equipment sold under other names. IIRC Harvey bought Bridge City Tools.

The Wood Whisperer did a review of Miter Gauges including the Harvey Miter Gauge, near the end of the deo. While the Miter gauge is impressive for an included part to the saw, it did not do well on the test.

Leon

Umm…yeah…thus the reason I said “a belt”.

Yep…that’s where I I got my info from. I agree, they look nice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The prices look good too.

Reply to