Cross-cutting 2x6 on Delta miter saw

I've used my 10" Delta Shopmaster compound miter saw for several years now on 2x4 and smaller stock. No problems at all. However, when I just cut a nominal 2x6, about 1/4" on the outside, bottom corner was not cut by the blade. The blade bottomed out leaving this corner unscathed.

The fence is, by default, as far to the rear as it can be.

Because the sticker on the base of the saw table says that it can cross-cut a nominal 2x6, I'm surprised that I had problems. Of course, I had the board laying on a face rather than an edge, but I assumed that is how it should be placed.

Is my experience unique? What should I do the next time I cut a board this size?

Thanks,

Rich

Reply to
Rich Shepard

You can sometimes place a spacer under the board and raise it up enough to cut it.

Reply to
Bruce

Rich:

Check again on the fence. I was able to move the fence on my Delta enough that it cuts completely through a 2X6.

Marv

Reply to
Marv

Reply to
dave

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? :-)

Many thanks, Bruce,

Rich

Reply to
Rich Shepard

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Instead of moving the fence BACK, try moving it forward. The arc of the cut is what you are running into, and moving the board forward (assuming that it cuts OK at the front edge of the board)

John

Reply to
John Crea

I've had similiar experiences with my CMS.

Two thoughts:

1) When I was working on some decking I just raised the front end of the board up a bit, to the blade. 2) Place a piece of scrap beneath the 2x6. This will raise the board to a wider part of the saw blade, sort of which John was referring to, I believe.
Reply to
Ron

Cut three at a time (flat) on your RAS?

Sorry, I couldn't help it,

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Its not too hard to flip it and continue. Before starting the blade, lower it into the groove you made on the first cut, so its calibrated. Then raise it, start the blade, and make the cut.

Reply to
David Binkowski