creating plans from a photo

Folks -

I am building a cradle from a very small 3/4 (almost) view photo that was in FWW. Do any of you have any input on how perspective for the drawing will change in using a isometric photo for a 2 d rendering? I can figger it out well enough, but was wondering if there might be a more elegant approach.

TIA

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

A photograph is taken in real world 3D perspective. Isometric is not what you are seeing when you look at a photograph. Isometric does not have diminishing view points and the dimensions are equal in relation ship to height, depth, and length.

If I am making a copy of a piece I try to get a photo only to remind me of the details and I use my own measurements for the dimensions. You are probably going to have go with your own dimensions.

Reply to
Leon

It _can_ be done "by science", but it requires a whole bunch of information about the picture that is -not- readily available. e.g., things like focal length of the lens, dimension of the negative area that is represented by the photo, camera-to-subject distance, etc., etc., ad nauseum. And you're _still_ left with 'estimating' the angle of the object to the camera.

Best advice: eyeball it 'til it "looks right", and run with that.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

For a cradle ? Just busk it.

For more detailed work, take a look at Jeffrey Greene's "American Furniture of the 18th Century"

book, and there's a chapter in there on how to produce accurate drawings from photos.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hell John - I'd just ask JOAT for the free plans! LOL!

Jums (g,r, & d!)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 7:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (john=A0moorhead) says: I am building a cradle

No help on the cradle. But, I figure you would be ahead on making a rocking chair, instead.

You're gonna have to pick the kid up often, and hold him/her/it. Not often you're just gonna be able to toss the kid into the cradle, rock it, and expect the kid to drop off. Then the cradle is going to rapidly get outgrown, and sit around taking up space. Make a rocker, hold the kid, and rock whatever to sleep, then you can hang the kid on the end of the couch if you wanted, and the kid would sleep like a rock. Then you, or whoever, can sit back and relax in the rocker. And, the rocker will be useful for years - if it's made well. Yeah, cradles are a nice idea, and look nice, but I would go for a decent rocker instead. If you don't go along with this now, wait until you've had a kid or two.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 9:28pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@flash.net (Jim=A0Mc=A0Namara) says: Hell John - I'd just ask JOAT for the free plans! =A0 LOL!

Nah, you makes a rocker (good for years of use), rocks the kid to sleep, then dump in one of these pre-tested designs.