Craftsman Twin Cutter

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper, steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will last too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you are dead in the water. Any opinions?

Reply to
Kim

With you observations, buy one and try it out. If you like it, buy spare blades now.

Reply to
Leon

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:34:47 -0800, the inscrutable "Kim" spake:

Searz? RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

copper,

I saw one demonstrated on the weekend. While it did look impressive, I see a couple of negatives. First, because you've got blades with guards around them that are probably 7" in diameter, the machine can't get into any kind of tight spot. Most of my need to cut "anything" comes during renovation work. I don't see this as being of much help, because you'd still need the reciprocating saw more often than not.

Cutting loose materials, on the other hand, is better done with stationary tools. Table and miter saws for wood, plastic, aluminum, copper (with non-ferrous blades) and an abrasive cut-off saw for steel.

We share my second concern that the blades will be expensive to maintain, especially if you use this thing to cut steel.

Seems to me like it was a jack of all trades but master of none.

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

I saw the pictures of thatching and decided that I had no use for it.. especially after picturing something jamming between 2 blades that are trying to rotate in 2 different directions.. *shudder*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sun, Mar 6, 2005, 5:34pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@chee.net (Kim) asks: Any opinions?

Been reading some good reviews from different car magazines, and car guys.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Looks like it might be something, until you think about it!~

Reply to
M-14

"Kim" wrote in news:UdidnZ8pg snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Before this thing came out, Sandor Nagazalczy (sp?), one of the Taunton authors who writes a lot about tools, came to visit our wood club, and talk about tools. He was pretty excited about this thing. Said that it was counterintutive, but there was no kickback at all. Seemed much safer than your average circular saw.

Somebody is making it for Sears...

If I needed something like it, I'd get one. But I don't, yet.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch