join thin twin electricity cable with standard twin and earth

What's the best way to connect twin electricity cable (side by side sheafed in plastic) with standard twin and earth? Are there any connection boxes made for this purpose?

Cheers.

Reply to
Dundonald

Are you talking about connecting 'flex' (as in, the floppy stuff which has a plug at one end and a table lamp or telly at the other) to 'cable' (as in, the stiff stuff which is fixed down and normally hidden under floors/ceilings etc)?

If so, you'd better provide more details of what exactly you want to power up with this arrangement.

If not - please clarify!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Apologies for any confusion. No the twin stuff I talk of carries 12v and is what came with garden lighting I bought from B&Q. It's simply two live wires, each individually wrapped in plastic and stuck side by side together so the whole bit of wire is flatish. But I don't want to use that wire as I only got 15m of the stuff. Instead I want to use the twin and earth that's already circulated around my garden.

The lights have a small length of the same twin/flatish cable that would normally connect to the said 15 ring that came with the lights, but I want instead to connect this to the twin and earth.

Reply to
Dundonald

Seek professional help immediately. TW&E isn't suitable for 'circulating around a garden'

Electricity can kill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As long as your T&E is in no way connected to mains, and only carries the 12v supply, just use a waterproof (underground) or IP44 (above ground) junction box. Connections to the T&E will also need to be similarly weather protected.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

These lights often have Insulation Piercing Connectors that are designed to work with the figure eight cable that you have. Hence you may need to make connection to each light using an offcut of the supplied cable. You can feed this from anything you like.

For making waterproof joins in low voltage cables I tend to favour joining the wires with either insulated crimps, or solder and a layer of heatshrink over the wire, followed by a wider heatshrink right over the whole join. If you use glued heat shrink, or slice some strips off a hotmelt gluestick and stick them into the heatshrink before you shrink it, you will end up with a waterproof jacket over the join.

Reply to
John Rumm

lights,

designed

shrink

Thanks a lot for your comments, much appreciated.

Reply to
Dundonald