Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit (2024 Update)

-MIKE- wrote in news:o72mmi$jl2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I need to fit some sort of dust collection to my RAS, but other than that it's a great saw. It took several days to tune up, but it was worth it! I get square and true cuts with very little effort.

This guide was very helpful:

_Arm_Saws.pdf

If you don't have a DeWalt, don't despair. You'll likely see the same concepts expressed differently on other saws. There has to be a way to set the blade true to the fence and true to the table, the arm parallel to the table and so on.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't know, man, but if you're into woodworking and making jigs and whatnot, then you probably already process the skills and mental fortitude to get one of these things all trued up. I spent a good day taking mine apart, cleaning and greasing the parts, putting the new (recall) parts on and getting everything square, parallel, and true. After that it was in better shape than new. Of course, I enjoy doing that kind of thing while listening to music or a game and having a beer or two. Beats watching reality TV. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

FWIW, Jon Eakes wrote a book about tuning radial saws a long time ago--covers DeWalt, Craftsman, and Delta in some detail and has some good ideas about the principles involved. .

Also, Wallace Kunkel's "Mr. Sawdust" book is a good read -- setting up the saw is only a minor part of it-- he started at deWalt in the late '40s or early '50s and stayed there until he retired and he knew radial saws inside and out. Note that the family's facebook page is worth seeing--several of his sons became woodworkers and there's a good bit of their output on the page.

Reply to
J. Clarke

[snip]

LOL! Having an impacted wisdom tooth removed without anesthetic beats reality television.

As the guide pointed out, the RAS CAN be (in most instances) a great tool if one takes the time to understand the adjustments, makes them, and keeps the saw in good repair. I can only speak to my ca 1969 Craftsman RAS but once trued up it stayed true and is a great tool.

After mine was made Sears started getting cute with lotsa plastic, digital readouts and I doubt (judging from the feel of those later designs) that they were anywhere near as good as most of the earlier models.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You're probably right about that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

replying to krw, Keith Ruttenberg wrote: Are you interested in selling the retrokit ? What model recall kit is it? thanks

Reply to
Keith Ruttenberg

replying to krw, diykrut wrote: hello, Are you interested in selling your retrofit kit? What model is it? thanks

Reply to
diykrut

replying to krw, diykrut wrote: Do you happen to have the complete recall kit 509346 that you want to part with? thanks

Reply to
diykrut

Reply to
reisariovaldo9

model 113.199200c serie 4097.m0218

Reply to
jacques bein

replying to jpbouvais, James wilkins wrote: This is not very good for Sears, I can't get up grade for my saw.

Reply to
James wilkins

Why is your inability to get an upgrade "not very good" for Sears? I'd say it's not very good for *you*.

BTW...things have not been good for Sears for quite a while now.

DerbyDad03

See! It wasn't very good for Sears. ;-)

Yeah, they've been pretty useless for the last 30-40 years. J.C Penney is following the same path to the grave that got Monkey Ward and is swallowing Sears.

Reply to
krw

replying to rebecca2057, mark 1780 wrote: what the number for the upgrade ?

Reply to
mark 1780

replying to diykrut, Jbrwcky wrote: Where did you get upgrade kit from for Radial Arm saw part #509346,doesn't register with Sears Parts Direct #s?

Reply to
Jbrwcky

Prolly because it was an Emerson part #, which they no longer offer:

Spalted Walt

replying to william mattert, Richard Beck wrote: How do I go about getting the upgrade kit.

Reply to
Richard Beck

Invent a time machine.

Reply to