Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:

the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you make the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they will send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in otherwards you have been screwed.
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:45:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't think that is correct...I am pretty sure if your saw has the "T" pivot release lock handle, then it qualifies for the repair kit. It bears investigation I guess...
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT), ray56 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box. ;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

You should do it. It makes it a whole new machine.
--

-MIKE-

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:40:54 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Do you want to sell it?
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 07:15:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I had mine for over ten years and it's still in its box, too, but I don't think I'd sell it without the RAS.
On 2/2/2017 12:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm! There was the option of sending in the motor yoke (and motor?) in a prepaid shipper and getting $100 back IIRC. Might try going back to the well, so to speak, perhaps with a different name and see if you can take advantage of Option B.
Then you'd have a kit available to sell.
Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'
My model was one that they NEVER made a kit for. My only option was to sell them the yoke for $100 and dispose of the rest of the saw. Screw that! It was and is a good solid saw that never gave me any problems once I tuned it up. I can rip a 10' 1x or 2x using a good Freud rip blade and come away with an edge that appears to have been run through a jointer.
If you used the anti-kickback devices on the original as intended and know what you're doing you'll have no problems. This whole thing comes about with the government and lawyers (as usual) looking to design safety devices to accommodate morons at the expense of the rest of us.
When I am king! ;)
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 17:28:45 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Fraud? For a hundred bucks? No thanks.

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

I launched a spear once, after the cut but the worst was when I had it come after me when cross-cuting, twice. Didn't much like that. I feel much safer with the table saw. It does a much better job, too.

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 8:43:52 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Your statement does a very good job of illustrating how antiquated, useless , worthless, etc. radial arm saws are now. If you haven't used it in 25 ye ars, its probably not that useful. $75-$100-$125? Once, maybe, that meant something to me. Now, I might whip IT out to put out a fire of a $100 bil l. But if it was the middle of winter and cold, I might keep IT warm and l et the $100 bill burn up too.

I wouldn't go that far. I have a table saw with a sled, a really good compound miter saw, and a radial arm saw.
The RAS is set up on the workbench, ready to use at all times with dedicated dust collection in the hood and behind the fence. It's my "go-to" saw for quick, perfectly square, clean cuts on any length stock up to almost 16" wide and wider with a simply flip of the piece.
I would not want to be without it because of how convenient it is in my shop, how great it cuts, and how it leaves virtually no saw dust in the air.
--

-MIKE-

I need to fit some sort of dust collection to my RAS, but other than that it's a great saw. It took several days to tune up, but it was worth it! I get square and true cuts with very little effort.
This guide was very helpful:
http://www.johnsonphotographic.com/goodstuff/owwm/Adjusting_DeWalt_Radial _Arm_Saws.pdf
If you don't have a DeWalt, don't despair. You'll likely see the same concepts expressed differently on other saws. There has to be a way to set the blade true to the fence and true to the table, the arm parallel to the table and so on.
Puckdropper
On 2/3/17 11:08 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't know, man, but if you're into woodworking and making jigs and whatnot, then you probably already process the skills and mental fortitude to get one of these things all trued up. I spent a good day taking mine apart, cleaning and greasing the parts, putting the new (recall) parts on and getting everything square, parallel, and true. After that it was in better shape than new. Of course, I enjoy doing that kind of thing while listening to music or a game and having a beer or two. Beats watching reality TV. :-)
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

FWIW, Jon Eakes wrote a book about tuning radial saws a long time ago--covers DeWalt, Craftsman, and Delta in some detail and has some good ideas about the principles involved. <http://www.joneakes.com/learning-curve/75- radial-arm-saws>.
Also, Wallace Kunkel's "Mr. Sawdust" book is a good read <http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php -- setting up the saw is only a minor part of it-- he started at deWalt in the late '40s or early '50s and stayed there until he retired and he knew radial saws inside and out. Note that the family's facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/mrsawdust/ is worth seeing--several of his sons became woodworkers and there's a good bit of their output on the page.
On 2/3/2017 11:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[snip]

LOL! Having an impacted wisdom tooth removed without anesthetic beats reality television.
As the guide pointed out, the RAS CAN be (in most instances) a great tool if one takes the time to understand the adjustments, makes them, and keeps the saw in good repair. I can only speak to my ca 1969 Craftsman RAS but once trued up it stayed true and is a great tool.
After mine was made Sears started getting cute with lotsa plastic, digital readouts and I doubt (judging from the feel of those later designs) that they were anywhere near as good as most of the earlier models.

You're probably right about that.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:12:41 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Sure, it also says something about how much that additional $100 would mean to me. There is a far higher chance that I'll use the RAS than my *&*$ PC biscuit cutter. I haven't sold it either, even though I've only used it once (and never will again).
ray56 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

That was always the case for some models.
On 7/24/2016 2:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

That's correct. My particular model was never eligible for the retrofit kit like the others. In the end though, IF it is true that Sears/Emerson Electric is no longer sending out the kits, to say one is screwed is a rather ridiculous statement.
I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that the retrofit offer has been out there and fairly well published (and discussed) for at least two decades, probably more. If you didn't take advantage of it, whose fault is that?
OTOH, even though my RAS model was only ever eligible for the "turn in" offer of $100, it still runs as well as it did when I bought it in the early 70's. AFAIAC, it's one of the better Sears RAS that still had some "beef" and, when properly set up and tuned was and is a great RAS.
The only thing the recall ever addressed was safety guard issues that, again, are pretty much "non-issues" if you exercise the due care required when using such tools.
Just my two cents.
snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net says...

Yep. To say that one is "screwed" is greatly overstating the case. Getting a new table for free was nice, the new guard was more annoyance than benefit and has been replaced with the old guard, so about all that changed is that I saved the price of a half a sheet of MDF.
For what it's worth, I has a 9" Craftsman RAS stored away for possible resu rrection in the future. Got it VERY cheap in a yard sale. I just realized it was a candidate for the recall. I sent in the request in May, got the return box in June and the $100 check last week.
So, if your saw is a candidate and you no longer want it, you can still get the $s.
Bill