Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit (2024 Update)

I don't think that is correct...I am pretty sure if your saw has the "T" pivot release lock handle, then it qualifies for the repair kit. It bears investigation I guess...

Reply to
bnwelch

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box. ;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

Reply to
krw

You should do it. It makes it a whole new machine.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That was always the case for some models.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's correct. My particular model was never eligible for the retrofit kit like the others. In the end though, IF it is true that Sears/Emerson Electric is no longer sending out the kits, to say one is screwed is a rather ridiculous statement.

I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that the retrofit offer has been out there and fairly well published (and discussed) for at least two decades, probably more. If you didn't take advantage of it, whose fault is that?

OTOH, even though my RAS model was only ever eligible for the "turn in" offer of $100, it still runs as well as it did when I bought it in the early 70's. AFAIAC, it's one of the better Sears RAS that still had some "beef" and, when properly set up and tuned was and is a great RAS.

The only thing the recall ever addressed was safety guard issues that, again, are pretty much "non-issues" if you exercise the due care required when using such tools.

Just my two cents.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yep. To say that one is "screwed" is greatly overstating the case. Getting a new table for free was nice, the new guard was more annoyance than benefit and has been replaced with the old guard, so about all that changed is that I saved the price of a half a sheet of MDF.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For what it's worth, I has a 9" Craftsman RAS stored away for possible resu rrection in the future. Got it VERY cheap in a yard sale. I just realized it was a candidate for the recall. I sent in the request in May, got the return box in June and the $100 check last week.

So, if your saw is a candidate and you no longer want it, you can still get the $s.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Tried to get a safety kit for my radial arm saw. They said it was no longer available. They wanted me to send parts of my working saw in to disable it and get a $100 rebate. My saw is worth a lot more than that, as it is used often. Would just like it to be safer. 8 87u 8u 8

Reply to
glk

I call on Friday they said no more retrofit kits are available for my saw I have been using this saw for a long time and have had no issues with it so if they don't want to pay me it's value which to me is 500.00 as it makes me alot of money then it is on them if it does go to hell . Talked to my at torney he said they can't offer to fix just some and not all.

Reply to
garygarlandsr

The court has decided that they in fact _can_ fix just some and not all, so good luck with that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

An attorney is going to tell you what ever you need to hear to continue spending your money.

Reply to
Leon

So sue them. LOL!

Reply to
krw

replying to martyn.grogan, william mattert wrote: I am in the same boat they won't send me a new blade guard where do I find one?

Reply to
william mattert

Do you want to sell it?

Reply to
wpmnissan4

I had mine for over ten years and it's still in its box, too, but I don't think I'd sell it without the RAS.

Reply to
krw

Hmmmmmmmmm! There was the option of sending in the motor yoke (and motor?) in a prepaid shipper and getting $100 back IIRC. Might try going back to the well, so to speak, perhaps with a different name and see if you can take advantage of Option B.

Then you'd have a kit available to sell.

Face it, RAS popularity is definitely waned. If it's working good, you could probably get $100 to $125 for it without the modification. If you modified it you could probably get the same $100 to $125. Sell the kit for $75 and make some money. Just sayin'

My model was one that they NEVER made a kit for. My only option was to sell them the yoke for $100 and dispose of the rest of the saw. Screw that! It was and is a good solid saw that never gave me any problems once I tuned it up. I can rip a 10' 1x or 2x using a good Freud rip blade and come away with an edge that appears to have been run through a jointer.

If you used the anti-kickback devices on the original as intended and know what you're doing you'll have no problems. This whole thing comes about with the government and lawyers (as usual) looking to design safety devices to accommodate morons at the expense of the rest of us.

When I am king! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Fraud? For a hundred bucks? No thanks.

It was working well the last time I used it (some time before '93 ;-).

I launched a spear once, after the cut but the worst was when I had it come after me when cross-cuting, twice. Didn't much like that. I feel much safer with the table saw. It does a much better job, too.

Reply to
krw

Your statement does a very good job of illustrating how antiquated, useless , worthless, etc. radial arm saws are now. If you haven't used it in 25 ye ars, its probably not that useful. $75-$100-$125? Once, maybe, that meant something to me. Now, I might whip IT out to put out a fire of a $100 bil l. But if it was the middle of winter and cold, I might keep IT warm and l et the $100 bill burn up too.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I wouldn't go that far. I have a table saw with a sled, a really good compound miter saw, and a radial arm saw.

The RAS is set up on the workbench, ready to use at all times with dedicated dust collection in the hood and behind the fence. It's my "go-to" saw for quick, perfectly square, clean cuts on any length stock up to almost 16" wide and wider with a simply flip of the piece.

I would not want to be without it because of how convenient it is in my shop, how great it cuts, and how it leaves virtually no saw dust in the air.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Sure, it also says something about how much that additional $100 would mean to me. There is a far higher chance that I'll use the RAS than my *&*$ PC biscuit cutter. I haven't sold it either, even though I've only used it once (and never will again).

Reply to
krw