Craftsman drill press any good

At what point did the Craftsman stuff become junk? Any idea if this would be any good:

upand_at_them

Andy

It looks like mine which I've had for over 25 years and it suits me just fine. It had a few warts which I've taken care of and others which I just work around. Mine is model #113.213150. This is on a plate at the rear of the head casting (behind the motor).

Things to watch for:

  1. Check the chuck for runout. Mine was fine from the factory.
  2. As manufactured it had a ton of quill slop. To test, lower the quill about 1/2 way and try to move the chuck front & back with your hand. Less if better, up to the point it causes the quill to bind. This is easily fixable and I'll share if you need the info.
  3. The 3 handles which lower the quill kept loosening and eventually screwed themselves into the hollow cavity of the hub. Another easy fix if you need it.
  4. The table is a royal bitch to get level, but once there it is rock stable. I never tilt mine anymore and just use a jig if I need to tilt.
  5. The depth stop is a rotating ring on the quill handle. I never had any trouble with mine but others have.
  6. The front plate states 1 HP max developed. The motor plate says 120V and 8A. The real HP is probably more like 3/4.

I hope this helps and if you need my fixes send me an email at wood butcher 007 decimal comcast decimal net (take out the blanks)

Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

Thanks guys.