Compressed Air

I cannot use the cans of compressed air in the house. Is there a device that would make a good substitute? My dad used to use empty dish washing detergeant bottles, but I want more pressure than that.

The small "air compressors" I see online that look like they are for filling up basketballs, etc. might work if they came with suitable attachments.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Why not?

What do you want to do with your compressed air?

Reply to
Upscale

One of these puts out quite a forceful stream of air for a brief time (i.e. each press of the foot). Its cetainly better than a detergent bottle. It comes with 2 nozzles that restrict the airflow for a higher velocity.

dicko

Not without knowing the application. Sometimes air from an inexpensive foot pump is all that's needed.

Reply to
Phisherman

Kind of hard to tell from your post whether you're cleaning a computer or painting a truck.. Most folks that use canned air are cleaning stuff like keyboards, is that the job?

I use a mini-vac accessory kit from Harbor Freight that goes on a vacuum hose.. works great and also collects the crap instead of blowing it all over the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That reminds me of the time during my computer infancy days when I was vacuuming up dust around my computer motherboard. The vacuum sucked a chip right off the motherboard and amid a sizable quantity of cursing and swearing, I spent the next hour carefully digging garbage out of my vacuum bag until I found the lost chip.

Reply to
Upscale

What are you looking to do with it? For blowing off dust those little powered basketball inflators are pretty much worthless--put out about as much air volume as a hand powered tire pump. On the other hand a low pressure foot pump will move a surprising amount of dust but won't give you more than 5 PSI or so of pressure.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When it comes to motherboards, blow never suck. A shop-type blowgun can damage electronics, so the $5 can of (clean) compressed air is recommended. The mini-vac accessory kit is a good idea for keyboards, remote controls, phones, and printers.

Reply to
Phisherman

Because I am allergic/sensitive to something that comes out of those aerosal cans, and many like them (they warn you on the side of the can that its not just "air").

I can use them outside, but I've dealt with enough reactions (after using them inside) to make me consider another solution that I can use conveniently for the rest of my days.

I would like to use it in the computer case and the CPU fan, especially, and I can think of woodworking applications too.

The $9.99 foot pump looks like a great idea if it would get the job done.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I run my keyboard through the dishwasher.

Reply to
dadiOH

If the $10 foot pump doesn't work, then you might consider a CO2 filled canister which is the same gas you create when you exhale. I saw an ad recently where they were selling these canisters for truckers and people to fill flat tires. Yes, it is likely bigger than you're probably thinking about, but I'm willing to bet one can obtain a smaller version.

The big version was advertised as being able to fill almost 10 truck tires and you had to go to a place locally to fill it up, but something similar might be a work around for you to consider.

Reply to
Upscale

Maybe a small fireplace bellows??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I use the foot pump to blow dust off the sensor of my dSLR. It puts out waaaaay more air than the little squeeze bulbs normally recommended for that job.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

While that works for some, it doesn't work for all.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You didn't say why you couldn't use the compressed air tanks, I'm guessing you are talking about the quart cans of compressed air and the propellant is the problem, If that is so, you could buy a 5 gallon air tank that can be filled with air from a compressor and then use as needed.

are sold by many companies, Google for portable air tank CC

Reply to
CC

Thanks for this, and *all*, of the kind replies to my post!

Yes, the "propellant" in the cans of compressed air is my problem. The air tanks look like a reasonable possibility (as does a foot pump), perhaps. Is the air that comes out of the tanks always free from "static electricity"?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

None of it's static free. The higher the flow rate the more static.

Incidentally, pennytech solution--air hose and spare tire. When the tire is empty pump it up at the gas station.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My guess would be "yes" since compressed air usually results in moisture permitting static electricity to travel to the metal sides of a compressor.

Anyone?

Reply to
Upscale

I don't even try to vac the CPU with all the dust I get here... not to mention hair from a dog and too many cats.. It goes outside 2 or 3 times a year and gets blown out with the compressor..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

A friend used to work for Delta Airlines and used to clean keyboards in some kind of electra-static vat, like you'd use for jewelry.. He said they'd go in there for an hour or so and then be blown dry with air..