Gun for compressed air

I just bought a portable compressed air tank, but it only came with a fitting to blow up tires and such. I was looking for a gun to attach to it, but all either said they were limited to 30 or 90 PSI, or else they didn't specify. The tank will hold up to 120 PSI, and the instructions say only to get attachments that can handle up to 150 PSI.

Are the guns with no limit mentioned good up to some understood PSI? The 90 PSI guns warn that they might explode if exposed to higher pressures, so I'm not inclined to experiment with the unlabeled ones.

Thanks

Reply to
Greg Esres

What kind of gun? Nail gun? Spray gun?

Anyway, you can always buy a regulator and regulate tank pressure down to the pressure required by the tool you're using.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Get a blowgun an use it. My compressor pushes 120 PSI and the regular-type blow guns work fine with it.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Oh, sorry, a blow gun.

Reply to
Greg Esres

You mean the ones that don't state a PSI limitation?

Reply to
Greg Esres

This one, for instance:

Greg Esres

Notice the vent on the side? It keep it from over pressurizing if you push the nozzle against something. It will be able to take the line pressure from any home compressor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What's the burst strength of the portion upstream of the valve?

Reply to
CJT

Thank you.

And now, just for your amusement, I did something ignorant. I found this white stuff wrapped around the male fitting, so I unpeeled it. I figured it was something to protect the fitting during travel. Now I know it was the teflon tape. I'll have to buy some more.

Reply to
Greg Esres

It's cheap. If you do any plumbing, you'll need it eventually, anyway.

Reply to
CJT

What kind of gun? Paint gun? A tank without a compressor isn't good for much. You can inflate tires and you can put quite a few nails through a small gun before you need to add pressure. You have to look at the PSI limit and the air flow, e.g., 50 psi 5.7 cfm. Most compressors pump the tank up to a certain amount and also have an adjustable pressure limiter on the outlet which you adjust for the tool you use. Paint guns are usually fairly low and pressurized guns will blow the paint container apart if the max pressure is exceeded enough.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Most home compressors max out at about 135 psi, a few go to 150. Most products of that sort have burst strength of 1000 psi or more. We've been using them in my industry for 35 years and none has ever broken. Even if it did breaks, it would likely crack, rather than blow apart.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bob

Even if the metal did crack, there's not enough volume inside the typical blow gun to generate an "explosion" . It would just leak. =20 Now, if the tank burst, parts of it would probably go through the wall..=20

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner