chisel and knife source

know of a source for chisels or knives with no handles and the blades are just shaped and not sharpened

Reply to
Electric Comet

Cut/shape your own from an old saw blade and/or (auto) leaf spring.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Google knife & chisel blanks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sounds like a couple in my garage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes try Texas Knife Supply in Houston,TX great people to work with. Very helpful. Not sure if they carry chisels but they should. good luck

Reply to
wyzarddoc

Sonny wrote in news:94f83bad-6d19-4d70-a7ec- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Please don't. Old saws are better off refurbed into working saws than chopped up into other things (or painted, or otherwise made unuseable as saws).

As for knives, pretty sure Ron Hock still makes knife blanks.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I think he is thinking of circular saw blades.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, they are called old dull files.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

have on chisel in the shop but it is too far gone to rescue but still has uses

it is officially repurposed never to be a chisel

Reply to
Electric Comet

Great store. Was just there at least three times in August and didn't see any chisel blanks, but the knife blade selection, and quality, is excellent.

My son-in-law made three knives while he was here from the UK, and he knew all about Texas Knife Supply before he got here.

Made the fancy one in photos below for Leon, and the plain one for me ... yep, that's par for the course around here. LOL

(Leon has a neighbor who's a world class gun engraver, who did the engraving for him, so I can't hold that against him). ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Those, a Hibachi grill, charcoal, hairdryer, piece of old railroad track or a big vice with an anvil back, and a large cross peen hammer will suffice for a forge and tools to get you started... Do the rough shaping of the blade blank at the forge and then move to a grinder and/or files for shaping... not as efficient as the forges I worked with at Colonial Williamsburg but it worked in a pinch when I was living in a condo one summer. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Electric Comet wrote in news:o1i4ic$a65$2 @dont-email.me:

You need to cut a precision screwdriver tip on the end and use it to punch open various cans. It's only useful if it's your best/favorite screwdriver!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Bob La Londe" wrote in news:o1i3v8$c0q$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Has anyone ever sent them out to Boggs Tool?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Darn Close To Hardwood Products!

Reply to
Leon

much too brittle

have broken plenty in half

Reply to
Electric Comet

Sure if you aren't going to bother forging and tempering.... Kinda critical in knife making.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Funny. I grab a screwdriver out of he drawer all the time to stir with when I am making rubber worms. I always seem to grab a good screwdriver instead of one of those I really should throw away.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"dadiOH" wrote in news:o1h5rj$p2v$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh. That's fine then :-)

Altho, I have an idea that the steel used in those blades isn't really suitable for hand forming into knives and things. But I'm not really a steel guy, so I may be mis-remembering.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Betchyer neighbors loved to here that. KA-CHANG! KA-CHANG! KA-CHANG! LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

you missed the point of the question and it was clear too

Reply to
Electric Comet