hardware for chisel and file handles

Know a good supplier for chisel or file collars?

I've got some scraps of maple that I'd like to use to finally make handles for some files and chisels. I looked around and I must not be using the right search terms. I was looking for collars and chisel hardware, etc.

Maybe there's a better way that can be done from copper or brass pipe.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Ferrules is the search term. One can hammer tubing to open one end up to make 'em, if you can find a suitable mandrel. Copper might work, but steel would be better. You can't finish the handle until you have a ferrule to do fit-testing.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 12:32:13 AM UTC-6, whit3rd wrote: Copper might work, but

Yep, ferrule is the term. Brass bushings could be used, also. The different metals provide different "colors"/looks/polishing.... and in some cases, finishing with a clear coa t to preserve the polished look, as with preventing/delaying oxidation of c opper (turning green or blackish).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

10 sizes at Lee Valley ...

John T.

hubops

I believe both lee valley and woodcraft carry ferrules in various diameters and materials.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Woodcraft does not. I did find a couple of other places that had them, but none had the selection that Lee Valley does.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Hmm. Woodcraft used to carry them in the stores, I've purchased them in the past.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ferrules! Right. Now I find a lot of info. I've got some copper so mmight as well try.

Reply to
Electric Comet

yes will probably do a clear coat just to keep it smooth at least

Reply to
Electric Comet

That's a nice store. a little pricey for my low low budget and cheapness.

Reply to
Electric Comet

You can do it with string too. Attach end of string with CA glue, wind string snuggly around end of handle/tang. Glue doen the fininh end with CA glue. Then soak the string with thinned CA or epoxy.

Plenty strong enough. If you have 10 lb test string, each turn is good for 20 lbs - 10 turns is 200 lbs , 20 turns is 400 lbs.

Start with 14lb braided fishline and you are looking at about 300 and

600 lbs. (and the epoxy will increase that significantly)
Reply to
clare

An Ah, Ha! moment, here. Never thought of string windings. Probably looks pretty darn good, too.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I don't know how many fly rods you've seen, but if you are good with the thread you can get quite artistic.

Reply to
Bill

I've used large hex nuts. Think plumbing nuts. Brass or Bronze. I've threaded them on.

Just a thought. Won't expand on heat and slip off. I have a steel lathe also. Making one is work but possible. Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I've got some kevlar fishing line but not sure if CA would ruin it.

This technique would be nice for handheld carving tools.

Reply to
Electric Comet

I got mine at Lee Valley.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep, it's very good. When I dropped my original miter gauge from my delta I used my drill press to make a new handle, and wrapped the bottom with dacron, soaked in in glue (don't remember if it was c/a or epoxy)... it's better than the original, nicer grip too.

Reply to
woodchucker

C/A doesn't ruin Kevlar, UV does.

Reply to
woodchucker

Are you kidding, that's pretty in-expensive.

Reply to
woodchucker

3/4" copper pipe will work fine used emory cloth on it to give it a brushed finish coupla coats of lacquer

pennies vs. $

found good tips online

Reply to
Electric Comet