File sharpening..

Sure is quiet in here right now. Ever bitch about your favorite file getting hopelessly plugged up with something? This happened to my favorite six inch fine tooth file. Usually I have good luck using my cleaner, a wood handle with a dowel pin in it and a short chunk of copper tube with a flat end to scrape out the crap. No go this time. So, I used a carbide scriber to scrape out every tooth and WOW did it work! File cuts better than new! Perhaps this is of use to you?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

--------------------------------------------------- These guys are in my neighborhood, will ship and they do a great job at a fair price.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I use an old school approach to file clogging.... I rub chalk onto the file to coat the gullets to cut down on the clogging. I use a brass bristle brush to clean the files rather than a file card with steel bristles. This was something Lynton McKenzie mentioned to a group of us gathered for an informal discussion of engraving. I figured that if it was good enough for someone trusted to engrave English Best shotguns (H&H, Purdey, etc.) it was good enough for me!

I also always clean the files when I'm done with them and give them a spritz of WD-40 before placing them in their protective newspaper sleeves. I firmly believe more damage is done to files stored carelessly than ever occurs to them in use...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I agree about them rubbing each other causes more damage. I took manila file folders and cut them to make folders for each when I had them in my drawers. I just got a wood lathe last June or July, I made a bunch of handles for all the files 2 weeks or so ago. Just heated the tangs with a torch and force them into the maple handle which had a small hole drilled.

Now hanging them by their handles in a rac.

Reply to
woodchucker

I use old golf balls for handles.

Reply to