Replacement Handles for Gouges

I'm looking for slightly tapered, octagonal handles with a brass ferule.

I'd rather not make them myself. Is there a source of these handles?

Thanks, Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

Look towards the bottom of this page for some handles:

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Joel a Google search should help.

But you do know that making your own is easy. Just build the handle size you want on the table saw , band saw or router table. Cut to length, you'll get a few at once.

Start to drill, and use one of your gauges and skews in the drill press or a drill held in a vise, to turn the ferules landing.

Finish with shellac, oil, or poly.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks ... I saw these before .... I'd prefer to have a ferrule on the tang end.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Believe me, I've searched.

Thanks ... I've made plenty of turned handles, but I'd prefer tapered octagonal handles with a brass ferrule. I had a bunch of these and used them up.

If worse came to worse, I suppose I could either 1) turn some, or 2) set up some kind of router jig to shape some tapered handles. I've used short lengths brass of brass tubing for the ferrules.

By the way, I usually finish my handles with the Beale System.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Sorry I missed the tapered part.

But that is not hard either on a tablesaw or band saw. They are octagon, not round. So why would you turn them. Just rough them out on the saw, then you can chuck them in the lathe to turn the ferrule landing if you have the lathe.

I would just start with square stock and knock off the corners, probably on the band saw. Just build a small sled for your band saw at the desired taper .. do half the sides, stick a shim in, and do the other half.

Use a spoke shave to cleanup or a small plane.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've used copper pipe caps or connectors for turning gouges - a little softer and thus easier to work with.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard