source of sealed units

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed units?

That is double glazed unit I can replace regular panes of glass with.

What sort of total thickness do these things have?

And what sort of price would I expect to pay?

Reply to
VisionSet

I went to my local glass shop and they made me some up at a very reasonable price.

I had 4 units made, 2 off 80x50mm and 2 off 50x50mm total price was £40 which I thought was reasonable. No doubt someone here will tell me I was stung though! Go to a glass shop that also does double glazing, my shop sells conservatories.

Total thickness was something like, 35mm, although I cannot really remember.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

35mm sounds very thick. Are we talking about a glass unit that could be used to replace an existing pane of glass, if the rebate were deep enough. I guess I'm off to a non-start here, since I have 1930's windows with no more than a 20mm rebate. Just that the 1930's windows are sound, look nice and they knew how to season wood in those days!

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Utterly ripped off. Why does a dollhouse need double glazing though?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mine are 20mm total thickness - the 'spacer bar' in the middle is 12mm and the glass is 4mm for each pane. The spacer bars come in other thicknesses too.

I presume Scott's window sizes should be in cm, not mm, in which case £40 all in was *very* good price.

Reply to
Rory

I think I've seen (maybe even fitted) sealed units into wood frames of

14mm thickness. However, it's going to hard to fit even standard thin sealed unit like that into a standard wooden single glazed frame rebate. You need to allow for the space for sealant and the beading you would normally use to fix them in place.

However I think I have heard of stepped sealed units - basically with one pane larger than another. so the smaller pane goes on the inside - protruding into the inside of the frame. Alternatively it may be possible to rout out the rebate to make them deeper.

ISTR a one time regular poster Matthew mark did something like this to some French windows. This link should get you started:

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

That must be a few years ago, weren't they called Gaul windows then ?

Reply to
raden

I buy locally form a company called 'Glass Systems' they are much cheaper by 70% than others I tried. Very quick service - but you have to pay in advance.

As to thickness they will make whatever you want ... unit thickness will depend on combination of pane spacer bar, inner & outer pane ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes