Any tips on choosing a sealed double-glazed unit, to replace one with condensation?

I acquired a double-glazed upvc window (second hand) that is exactly the si ze I need, but it has condensation between the panes. I've never replaced a sealed unit before. Is there much difference between between the various o fferings available from the various window nerchants, or are they much the same in quality and thermal resistance? Are there any types to avoid and ar e there types that are worth paying extra for (not including triple-glazed) . I often see brands that claim to be superior, and some with special gas t hat cost extra, but are they worth paying extra for?

Are double-glazed sealed units all the same thickness, or do I need to remo ve and measure the exact thickness of the failed one? How precise does the measurement need to be?

Many thanks,

JD

Reply to
wasaol

They are ordered as a three digit hyphenated number being the size of glass, gap and glass. Glass is normally 6mm so 6-N-6 where N= total thickness of current unit ( measure is old style external calipers) -12mm.

See if anyone will guarantee the units against blowing and decide if the extra money is worth it to you.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

FWIW, following a recent tip posted here, I drilled a couple of 5mm holes in a thoroughly fogged up velux double glazed unit. Cleared in a couple of days.

Reply to
RJH

e size I need, but it has condensation between the panes. I've never replac ed a sealed unit before. Is there much difference between between the vario us offerings available from the various window nerchants, or are they much the same in quality and thermal resistance? Are there any types to avoid an d are there types that are worth paying extra for (not including triple-gla zed). I often see brands that claim to be superior, and some with special g as that cost extra, but are they worth paying extra for?

remove and measure the exact thickness of the failed one? How precise does the measurement need to be?

Thanks for the tip. I tried that once, using a special diamond drill bit, a nd even though I drilled right in the corner of a pane, and went very gentl y, the glass shattered. I'm now wondering if it would be better to drill th rough the edge of the unit rather than through the glass. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks also to the other respondents.

JD

Reply to
wasaol

Your glass may well have been toughened as is required in most doors and a few other locations these days. In which case yes it would shatter. Drilling through the spacer via the frame and making sure the hole can breathe should work. Just depends on where the frame seals are with respect to the glass.

Reply to
Bob Minchin