Good online supplier of sealed units?

Anyone used an online supplier of sealed DG units they would care to recommend - preferably one that will do a small order without a daft delivery cost.

Reply to
John Rumm

I cannot recommend from experience but I did come across an online supplier of DG panels that would make up anything and looked kosher.

I'll see if I can dig their link out - might take me a while...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes after many many years, one of my large windows has a tiny crack in one corner on the outside pane. Its one of the older sort with the narrower gap and no break in the ally frames, but still workable. I've not been able to find anyone who can do a DG unit for it over a coupoe of years, everyone wants to replace the whole window, or more. Seems a bit odd to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Have a google for "System 3" they do the sealed units for many frame makers. Might fail on the small order requirement though.

LMGTFY:

Dave Liquorice

About 2/3 to 1/2 the price of our local glazing company.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Online? No. In Cambridge I would recommend Go-Glass. Your local glass shop may well be able to obtain them at a reasonable price.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

They wont ship to me:

"Collection FREE ready for collection on the 17/02/2015 from Unit 9 Wainman Road, Woodston PE2 7BU"

Reply to
fred

Yes, there're very good for that sort of thing and a lot else besides:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

It all looked good at first - the small unit I require £12.50

plus delivery of £93.46

I think I will have to find a local manufacturer!

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmm - must have escaped me - possibly as I wanted quite a few...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's the way it works here, there are suppliers on industrial estates knocking out units day in, day out and they are used to dealing with small orders from handymen and such. The local glaziers sub all their units out to them as they can't make em cheaper than the factory once their time is factored in.

Not your area unfortunately though :-/

Reply to
fred

Well if anyone knows of such a place in west Kent/East Sussex I'd be interested to know...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's not easy when any search for double glazed units brings up a whole raft of dodgy DG sales outfits.

In the days of paper yellow pages and such the trick was to look at 'Glass Merchants' to get a link to the wholesale selling and manipulation of glass rather than glaziers or DG selling.

It should still work online but be prepared to sort through the chaff or outfits that want vat reg nos. It'll help to know exactly what you want and know the lingo when you call them.

Reply to
fred

I phoned a local DG company today (one that actually has a decent reputation). They said they were able to order anything I wanted if I gave them the size etc. So I will probably go that way...

(since the window is less than a foot square, I don't really care if they stick a 100% mark-up on it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

That web site had a big markup on it anyway as the bottom price appeared to be for about 300x600. It didn't go any lower in price. Does it need to be double glazed at that size?

Reply to
dennis

To easily replace the existing broken unit, yes.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Rumm writes

Couldn't agree more :-)

I've just been to my local guys again and was almost embarrassed to be charged just 12quid inc vat for 1/3 of a metre DG 4+20+4 unit (28quid/m2

  • vat), I don't know how they do it.

Thought I'd pass on the numbers as the question does come up here every now and again, and it does make a difference when there is a bit more to buy.

Reply to
fred

Yes - thanks - useful numbers...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - and our local one said £46/m2 for 4+12+4 (I have old units), plain annealed.

Reply to
Tim Watts