Removing Econ 7 switchgear

Our new gas CH system is up and running and as part of that job I removed all the electric storage heaters. I now need to contant the elec supplier (different from the gas supplier) to change the electric tariff as we no longer need E7. That should be ok (I hope), but I'd also like them to remove the E7 'switchgear' namely, the CU,Mechanical Vener timer, and associated wiring. So just to ask here if there might be any probs asking them to do all that - and do they usually charge for it?

Apart from the above there are a pair of rubber insulated supply cables to a dedicated RCD/MCB for the shower - these cables are pretty old. I'd like to replace the them and the RCD but would need to break the seal to do that to isolate it. Is it ok to do that provided I inform them of the change (I suspect not). I don't want to pinch elect. tia

Reply to
michael newport

They might just change your tariff to standard by adding the peak and off-peak meter readings.

if they do need to change the meter then if you have an isolator handy the nice man might connect it for you when the cutout's opened. Then you can sort out the CUs etc yourself.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On the 2 occasions I have had this done they changed the meter.

Any wiring to timers and ancillary CUs that became redundant as a result of disconnection of the off-peak feed were terminated to otherwise unconnected henly blocks. In effect they were disowned by the supplier and could be removed by the user.

Reply to
fred

In message , at 21:59:46 on Sun, 8 Feb 2015, fred remarked:

And my two times it was adding up the meter readings.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I have an "E7" meter, they just add the readings together. Even when the meter was changed, they put in another identical meter. (Madness)

Reply to
harryagain

In article , Roland Perry writes

Area dependent I suppose then, this was the Scottish Power area, although I thought Owain was in that provider area too.

Reply to
fred

Seems sensible to only fit dual rate meters, then you have the choice of metering without needing a meter change.

Reply to
John Rumm

I am, but it may also depend on the meter operator.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are there a pair of electricity company fuses (one for each meter). If so, I expect they won't give a damn if you break the seal on the appropriate one. If there is a single fuse before the meters they might care rather more.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

That is highly unlikely as that would mean two supplies from the DNO and two lots of standing chrages etc. (Assuming single phase...)

The DNO is only responsible up to the output of the main cut out and MET. From there to and including the meters is the responsibilty of who ever you pay for electricity. Your responsibly starts at the meter outlets.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More likely supplier dependent. M&S/SSE changed my meter from E7 for free. Scottish Power wanted to charge, if I moved to them.

The old meter gave two readings plus a total. No need for the ability to add!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Exactly. Youre not allowed to pull a main incomer fuse, but in practice they take no action as they'd rather people do that than work live.

NT

Reply to
meow2222