Chick Songs That I Like Singing

I really like Ella's version of "Miss Otis Regrets"

Reply to
Olebiker

I like Dusty and I'll check out Diane Schuur.

Another one I like is Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

The only time in my life I have ever bought a ticket from a scalper was to see Ella along with Joe Pas at the Hollywood bowl.

As far as I know, it was her last concert.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It won't happen until their religious and the political views are once again separated.

The forefathers had it right.

Religion and politics don't mix.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Feb 14, 10:48 am, "Never Enough Money"

Check out Diane's "Collection". Long a offbeat jazz staple, she has her own sound.

Yeah! Me too. I like a lot of the Indigo girls stuff.

Annnddddd...... who here remembers "The Joy of Cooking"? A precursor to the Indigo Girls, they had a pleasant and sunny sound and were popular in the early 70s.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Or Sarah Vaughn. Or Diana Krall (had to put on one of her CDs now). Or K.Battle or C. Bartoli or EmmyLou Harris (take a listen to "To Daddy") or Kitty Wells and last but certainly not least: Patsy Cline.

oh yeah, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Naaahh ... what is a shame, is that, Liberal or Conservative, only those who remember Laura Lynch and Robin (forget her last name) in the original group really know how watered down musically they've become.

I'd played a few gigs with Laura and her then boyfriend, Dave Peters (now deceased), just as the original DC's were forming but hadn't gone on the road yet, and the four girls got together for one of their first rehearsal in Laura's apartment here in Houston just as David, Laura and I were finishing up doing the same ... if you never heard that iteration, you've never heard THE Dixie Chicks!

I'm glad for the group, but just wish it could have been for the gutsy music and killer harmonies in the original, instead of the "pop smooth" of the latter.

Reply to
Swingman

My buddy refers to that as the "Nashvillification" of a band. I'd love to have heard the original.

John Phillips from the Mamas And The Papas often talks about "Harvey" showing up when the harmonies were spot-on angelic. Graham Nash from The Hollies started calling those magic harmonies "Harvey" as well. Barbershop has lots of Harvey moments...and man, is it sweet when he shows up. Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks had their moments. I wore that record straight through so you could hear the other side.

Harvey seldom appears on record. Mamas And The Papas.... what a sound. Not from this planet.

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I had all of their recordings, at one time. Moving and raising kids sometimes gets stuff put away.

"I Scare Myself" came immediately to mind, and may stay all day.

Patriarch, who's got a lot of these recordings mentioned in this thread, needing listening to again...

Reply to
Patriarch

I'm having an "All the leaves are brown" day... could be worse.

Reply to
Robatoy

Aaahh yes ... Maryann Price, appropriate to the thread!

Reply to
Swingman

That was and is Cyndi Lauper, she's not only still around, she's still making records.

She's still around too, Sheryl Crow. Used to sing backup for Prince and Bob Dylan, taught music to kids for a while too. Multi Grammy winner, was engaged to cyclist Lance Armstrong , surviving breast cancer and still singing and recording.

John E.

Reply to
John E.

Sarah and Patsy I know. Diana I'm learning. Problem is, I wear heavy-duty hearing aids and can't appreciate the technical/artistic side of music. I go for mood, texture, emotion--but that's what art is supposed to do, eh? Everything else is just rationalization. Discuss: is art manipulative?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

"Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it". Berthold Brecht (also attributed to Vladimir Mayakovsky). Tom

Reply to
tom

Peggy Lee - Fever Bonny Rait - just about anything she sings Joplin - Piece of My Heart, Bobby McGee Martina McBride - Let Freedom Ring

Now back to The Band

And the early rapper - Phil Harris - Woodsman, Woodsman, Spare That Tree - just to keep things wood related.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Bobby McGee keeps appearing here. Hope you have all listened to Kris Kristofferson's version. He is the composer. waxing, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Sure - but Janis owns it.

Reply to
charlie b

RE: Subject

Anybody around here remember "the misty Miss Christy", June Christy, who fronted the Stan Kenton band for many years.

Julie London wasn't too shabby either.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh my. How about that.

Julie London can bring real heart palpitations with "My Funny Valentine".

And as for Stan Kenton, he was only about 25 years ahead of his time.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Remember her testimony before a senate committee on obscene material when she did her rendition of "Mickey Mouse"?

never sounded soooo good.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett