singing pipes

When we run water in the shower, there is no particular noise in the bathroom, but there is a loud whine (not a rattle or low vibration, but a high-pitched noise) in the basement near the pipes leading to the bathroom, and also in the attic which is supplied by the same pipe run. A muted version of the same whine can be heard all over the house.

I know this can be due to a number of things, but what should I try first?

Reply to
Chuckles

First, and easiest, to try: close the supply valve to the toilet(s). If that stops the whine, replace the toilet ballcock.

Other possible causes: Pressure reducing valve. Shutoff valve partly closed. Loose washer in shower control.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sound carries easily in pipes. Chances are the shower faucet is the culprit. Does it change pitch or go away if you adjust the water to a different flow level? If so, the washer may be causing the noise as the water flows past it. If so, just replace it.

Second guess would be the showerhead. Perhaps some of the holes are clogging with mineral deposits. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm. I'd collect more clues. Maybe find the location of the loudest whine sound. Bracing or weights sometimes helps by changing the natural frequency of your pipe system.

Reply to
Phisherman
1) Call a priest. Have house exorcised.

2) Remove showerhead and soak over night in CLR or vinegar

3) Change faucet washers in shower faucets.
Reply to
Stormin Mormonn