Whining and singing pipes

High pitched constant whine - 5 days and counting!- from overhead pipes in storeroom in basement where ceiling is unfinished. Minor change in pitch when faucets,toilets,showers and lawn irrigation system turned on but whine resumes and continues. Suggestions? Call a plumber?

Reply to
Anonymous

Something is leaking, most likely a toilet fill valve - everything else inside the house would have by now created a disaster or would be very simple to identify, like a leaking faucet where you can see water dripping from it. There may also be something leaking in the irrigation system. Did you try to shut it off? I woudl just disconnect the hose from the outside faucet to make sure it's not the faucet. Once you've narrowed the issue down to something inside the house, it will be much easier to find.

You can call a plumber, I suppose, but you will make his visit quicker (and the charge likely lower) if you identify the culprit yourself. Just go around the house and check the toilets. The culprit is bound to be louder when you're right next to it or, alternatively, you can shut the toilets' supply lines one by one and note when the noise stops - that's the culprit.

Oftentimes the floats of the fill valves in the toilets fill up with water (they should be hollow - just air inside), and that weighs them down and prevents them from closing the valve completely - this would be the first thing I'd check once you've found the issue and it is, indeed, a toilet valve.

Anyhow, see if you can identify the culprit first, then post here and me and other people posting here can help you through fixing whatever it turns out to be. This system also lets you post images if need be - see the +Image button on the bottom of the comment text form

Reply to
homeowners

Thanks- checked all toilets (5) and all working fine. Also no leaking from any shower or sink faucets.I did turn water off to each but no change. I unplugged and turned off the underground sprinkler system but noise continues.Would appreciate any further suggestions! Thanks.

Reply to
Anonymous

The first reason why we have a leaking faucet is because of the faucet itself maybe we have a cheap faucet that can easily broken. It is more advisable that we used the originally faucet so that it will last.

Reply to
Anonymous