Singing pipe

Every time hot water has been used my entire house is treated to a pipe singing an annoying and constant note.

I am assuming this is the pipe that feeds the header tank on my hot water cylinder. Is there an easy way to cure this problem? My take on it so far has been to replace the ball valve but I am not sure it will cure it.

//J

Reply to
Jan Larsen

Replacing the ball valve will only work if that is the ball valve that has a worn washer or diaphragm that is causing vibrations/noise. Have you tried moving the ball valve during filling to see if changes in the water flow rate and valve position make any differences to the noise? If it does make a difference then the ball valve is probably the culprit and a new washer/diaphragm/valve should cure the problem.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Jan Larsen pretended :

Have some one run some hot water whilst you are next to the valve. If you place your hand on it to dampen the vibration and the noise stops, you have found the culprit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Find the culprit. In order:

  1. replace the rubber tap/valve washer
  2. clamp the pipe better
  3. Add lagging to pipe
  4. restrict the flow with a service valve etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222