Check Out This Potential "Woodworking" Project

Remnants of the Bertrand Plantation, for sale - $250K. 4.5 acres, with small pond, barn, blacksmith shop and 2 other out-buildings. The old house could use some fixing up, as with the barn, etc. I'm interested, as an investment, maybe more!

41 house and grounds pics, on this site.

All contents are being sold, separately, May 10th, 11th & 12th - Some item pics:

I'll, at least, go look for some old tools.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

What is pecky cypress?

Reply to
G. Ross

The t Official property, sales, and tax information from county (public) records: Lot Size: 9.0 acres

Maybe they plan to split the lot at the time of sale?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Fungus infected (generally old) bald cypress trees and lumber, leaving penc il-to-finger size holes and channels in the wood. The holes and channels are the "pecky" aspect of the wood and boards. New logs/living trees, gen erally, won't have the defects, but may have the fungus within.

Mostly a characteristic of old lumber. Makes for some nice décor feat ures, but I find the holes/cavities catches dust/debris, making it hard/har der to clean and keep clean.... and homes for little household bugs, like s piders in many cases. For surfaces that are slightly peckied, makes for ni ce cabinets, kitchen islands and bare wall & ceiling applications.

The lumber being pecky is a selling feature for many, but I often prefer a nice solid board.... and, more so, a solid board from a sinker log.

A log can have areas of peckiness and solid wood.

I put pecky cypress on one upholstery (shop) room ceiling.... mistake of s orts, in that, it makes for a darker room.

First floor of my house, the wains coating, in most rooms, is pecky cypress and, again, it lends an air of darkness, which, after years of living with it, the ambience is getting old and tiresome. It just too much "wood loo k", now days.

It's not hard to find and salvage pecky boards and logs, for cheap, but the average unknowing-person often pays a premium for it. Many (*Craigslist) sellers don't advise a DIY buyer about leaded paint on some salvaged board s.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yep. I spoke to a realtor friend. For the sale, the 9 acres has been parc eled into 3, one parcel being .28 acre (an average size residential lot). I think the other parcel has a house on it, also. The whole 9 acres was on the market for 2 yrs, 2013 & 2014, for $400K.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks! Now I know what my vet has on the front of the counter. Never heard that term before.

Reply to
G. Ross