Cabinetmasters

Last week I was laminating up two layers of rock maple for my new workbench frame. I did two assemblies at a time (i.e. four pieces total) figuring that would give me more even clamping pressure with the greater thickness, plus it makes your clamps go twice as far. In trying to determine a favorite, I've purchase 4-8 each of the Bessey K's, Cabinetmasters and Gross Stabil PC2s. I don't have any of the new Jet parralels, but they look interesting.

Anywho, I cranked pretty good on all the clamps to get a nice even glue sqeeze out along the edges, and I snapped the inner jaws on one of the Cabinetmasters. It looks like the Cabinetmasters have aluminum jaws, compared to steel jaws on the German clamps. The Gross Stabils really look substantial, I don't think I'd be strong enough to snap those under any circumstance.

As far as the Cabinetmasters, has anyone else experienced this or did I get a bad clamp in need of return to Fleet Farm?

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

I dont know anything about any of those clamps but if you're cranking hard enough to break one you're using way too much force.

The key is finesse, not force, and even aluminum should be sufficient to get the job done.

Reply to
LP

I am a strong guy too. :~) LOL I have had 6 break. Jorgensen will gladly replace the broken piece for free and the replacement is a more ferrous material. Slightly heavier but they work much more smoothly than the aluminum ones. Jorgensen told me that they will stand behind the clamps for as long as I have them. Noooo complaints here.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed, however Jorgesen does admit that there was a casting problem causing voids. They have switched to iron.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon. Whats the best way to contact them for this? I assume I shouldn't go back to the store. Also, the botton section seems to be riveted together. Do you drill those out or do they send you a whole new bottom jaw?

Yes, I realize I am probably clamping too tightly. Maybe the boards weren't quite flat enough after sitting a week after dimensioning. So far the lamination has held up fine.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Call, (312) 666-0640 The number is also at the bottom of their web page at

call them and tell them how many broken ones you have. They will also explain what caused the breakage. The repair is simple. They send you a new handle along with the iron piece that it screws into. Only a small philps head screw driver is needed. You will slide the clamp off the end of the bar and then remove the small screw at the top of the clamp that holds the small cap on. Slide the cap off and the guts will slide out. Exchange the spring and gripping pieces and reverse to reassemble. After you do the first one the rest take agbout 1 minute to repair. DON'T drill anything. :~)

Mine broke when gluing up 5 1x4's to make table legs. I noticed also that the clamps broke when the handle was almost screwed all the way out causing the angle in the internal components to be greater.

Reply to
Leon

Cabinetmasters and Gross Stabil PC2s.

Feel free to send me whichever ones aren't your favorites. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Heh heh, you know clamps are like women. Variety is the spice of life.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki