Buying a bench grinder

What are some of the things one needs to consider when buying a bench grinder? I prefer not to spend a whole lot, I won't be doing any heavy fabrication or anything, just something for the shop for them odd sharpening or cutting jobs.

Thanks

Reply to
Ken Adams

For sharpening, get a slow speed. 1725 rpm or slower. Most grinders at Sears and Home Depot are in the 3450rpm range.

I'm looking for a good 7 to 8" slow speed grinder too. I have two 12"

2hp 3phase grinders already. They are both pedestal grinders. They'll rough away a lot of material and never complain.

Apparently, the 7" radius wheel has the appropriate arc for sharpening. I have a lot of 8" wheels. I'm not sure how well they will work, but I do prefer them for their 1" width to most of what you can find on smaller grinders.

Woodcraft has a nice slow speed grinder on sale. It comes with white aluminum oxide wheels if I recall correctly. These are better for sharpening than the grey ones. It is eight inch. Be right back. Here it is:

an eight inch which uses 1" wide wheels. It comes equipped with two different grit white wheels and spins at 1725.

I might have to get one myself. You can pick up a grinder pedestal at Sears for about $30.00. Good luck and I look forward to more qualified responses.

Eric T

Reply to
robdingnagian1

Woodcraft has one on sale this month: $75 It's a nice slow-speed 8" grinder with white wheels. It's a good buy at $100.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Sorry about the link last time. Cut it off after the family_id=4605

Try this.

robdingnagian1

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y
14 inch wheels are a little spendy, aren't they?
Reply to
CW

Yes they are, about $150-200 each (for my grinder 14"X3") depending on the grit. But they do last a LONG time! William....

Reply to
William

They have that arc briefly, at least. Of course, so does the 8" once it's ground down. Makes no difference. What isn't there isn't there, only a bit deeper, and 6" wheels come 1" wide if you want 'em.

Those white soft-bond wheels will be 6" real soon, so plan on sharpening all your demanding bevels early, and then get a wheel with better bond.

What really counts, aside from the slower (safer to your edges) speed, is a smooth-running centered wheel and one of those neat Veritas toolrests, though you may have to elevate your grinder a bit to get full use of it.

Reply to
George

sharpening.

Um, my faux pas. They would be real spendy considering they don't fit anything I have. However, they would last pretty much forever considering they would never be spinning and grinding.

7" diameter.

Eric T

Reply to
robdingnagian1