Bench Grinder Question

just received and assembled a bench grinder purchased from amazon.

I wanted a bench grinder for occasional use....when I fired this thing up noticed the right wheel has a little wobble.....I would say about 1/16 inch and also vibrates some, I assume because of the wobble. I pulled the right wheel off and turned on but I can not tell for sure if the shaft is bent.

Not real happy with the wobble, but wondering if this is normal or should I just send it back?

Reply to
buckwheat

You didn't say if the vibration went away when you removed the wheel? Crappy wheels could cause your problem. Since it's Amazon...send it back!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

You can tell if the shaft is severely bent with just the tip of a scratch awl or the like if you don't have actual dial indicator to measure runout. Place it perpendicular to the shaft with the point just touching and rotate the shaft--if it's badly out, you'll be able to tell it by whether the tip of the awl is moved or not...

More than likely it's just the wheel or the mounting flange. If the left hand side seemed ok, move it to the right and try it...and the flanges, too, or vice versa, w/ the right wheel on the left.

Reply to
dpb

I imagine if you turned the grinder on and held a stick on the motor housing, then on the end of the shaft, more vibration would show a bent shaft.

Reply to
J Burns