Builders Edge 4-in Plastic Louver

The building inspector pointed out that one of louvers is missing from the exhaust vent of the side of my condo. Trying to chase down where I can find a louver I determined that most likely the manufacture is "Builders Edge" and they are available at Lowes and Amazon. Now I just need to decide if I give up and buy a new one and rob the louvers or keep up trying to find someone that just sells replacement louvers ?

Anyone know where I can buy just the louvers ?

Thanks Sid.

Reply to
Sid 03

Ebay? Craigslist?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Amazon, Google, Bing... Yes, I have been searching.

Reply to
Sid 03

A new one can be purchased for $5.00 at any home center.

Since the tax laws regarding inventory changed in the 1980s, it hasn't been cost effective for the manufacturer to maintain inventories of spare parts for something this inexpensive.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, but to match exiting siding and color and be able to rob the louvers I need the same one $20-24 on Amazon, Lowes, ...

Sid 03

Why is it so bad to be missing a louver? Wastes heat? Just a little bit. What if you stuffed a rag in the space and took it out when you used the dryer?

Are you trying to sell it?

Bring Xmas presents to your neighbors when they are not home, go aroudn the side, and pop one of these out while you're there. After you get one, you can keep the remaining n'bors presents.

If you're selling it, you'll be gone before they figure it out.

Reply to
micky

If it is on the outside of your Condo call the Condo maintenance people. It isn't your problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

Already emailed the assoc., they stated that the dryer and bath vents are my responsibility. BTW, its the vent off the small bath (powder room) downstairs. Some bird already moved in, lots of building material in there ! Looked like the nest was already abandon, so I ripped it out. We have a rental inspection program here by the city and the inspector mentioned it when he was there last summer for the annual inspection. Said that he didn't want to write me up for such a small thing, but one of the other inspectors might and I needed to get it fixed. "... stuff a rag in it. : 1.) this is rental property, that just wont fly. 2.) its about 10' high over some shrubs and can't be reached easily w/o a ladder.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Sid 03

If it's 10' high, that means no one bumped into it, a bicyle, lawnmower, garden cart, wheelbarrow didn't hit it, and it wasn't stolen. Have you looked in the peat moss and dirt below the vent. I know it's been missing for a year but it's never too late to look. It could be buried. (Tomorrow I'm going out to look for a shirt I dropped in the woods a week ago. I think I've narrowed it down to 600 feet, but I don't know the exact path I took.)

Of course if you do find it it might well be missing a pin or somegthing that holds it in on one side, or it wouldn't have falled out, but maybe you can repair it

Also, generally, I would think that Ace Hardware is better for parts than HD. I'm not saying they'd have this but they are a real hardware store.

Reply to
micky

I just painted my plastic louver with the same color as the siding.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That is a strange condo if you own anything outside the envelope of the unit. If I had to buy it, the thing would be day glow orange.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not surprising that the louvers are not available, but what is surprising is how many many posts are out by people looking to buy them ?! I ordered the replacement from Lowes. I will rob the louver I need and then maybe see if the others will sell ?

Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

Why not just replace the whole thing?

Reply to
gfretwell

It's a rental property and they are going to write *you* up?

The inspection is to make sure that the renters are keeping the property up, not the landlord?

OK...that sounds pretty weird.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I hope the louver is flexible enough to just pop out and in. Might want to wait until it's warm enough not to be an issue.

I hope the old one hasn't faded, gotten dirty, or in some other manner changed enough not to match.

How hard is it to swap the whole unit? Vinyl siding is pretty flexible when it's warm out.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

to replace the whole thing I have to remove siding, I didn't want to start down that path. Here is an install video:

Cold weather: Yes that might be a problem, will probably attempt to heat the louver w/hair-drying before installing ?

Reply to
Sid 03

That is why you shouldn't be screwing with it. If this is a condo it is the building maintenance guys problem and if it is a rental the landlord should do it. In either case that is not your siding and you shouldn't be messing with it unless you are ready to replace that whole wall.

Reply to
gfretwell

I do own the unit and I rent it to an almost perfect tenant. I reserve my arguments with the assoc for the real problems like the broken sidewalk and landscaping. As far the assoc: it is what it is. There first answer to any request is 'no', then you have to prove your point ! If I force the issue and have them fix it, it may look crappy (because they will just hire some contractor that does not care) and then they will look for other stuff to complain about ! I'll post back pics when I get it finished. Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

OK so you are going to do this. I would suggest cutting the old one out (cut the flange with a box knife), cut the flange off the new one and caulk it in. Hopefully it is just a friction fit into the pipe. That is the usual thing. If you are worried about it put a couple of stainless screws in through the bezel.

Reply to
gfretwell

Seriously? Replace the *whole wall*? You are beginning to sound like one of those tangled garden hose infomercials.

Obviously we don't know the exact type of siding or how the vent is installed, but I'm pretty sure that replacing the whole wall is just slightly outside the scope of requirements for this fix.

I'm in agreement that it sounds strange that the tenant is responsible for the repair, but let's not exaggerate the amount of work required to get it done.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson