Brit Woodworking Magazines - English Literature

I pick up a copy of Traditional Woodworking semi-regularly. It?s a British magazine and it?s interesting to see some of the tools and equiptment not seen here in the U.S. As the name implies, the projects In each issue are mainly solid wood using traditional joinery rather than the typical U.S. woodworking magazines? ?you?ll need a sheet and a half of 3/4? (fill in plywood, MDF, melamine etc.)?. And there?s usually an odd, at least to me, project like ?turn a wine barrel tap and spigot?. Who has wine barrels, let alone wine barrels and no spigot?

But it?s the writing that impresses me the most. Always grammatically correct, you?ll find no dangling prepositions, it?s the vocabulary, and sometimes the spelling, that impresses me. Take the following sentences from a review of the Festool TS-75 EBQ Plus circular saw.

?What sets if apart from so many of its rivals is the effortless performance with which It despatches (sic) even the deepest cuts in the toughest, most recalcitrant timbers.?

or

?It is, quite simply, immaculate.?

Perhaps U.S. Woodworking magazine publishers will work on improving the writing in their magazines.

I can?t remember when I last ?despatched? a piece of wood. I regularly butcher, chop up, slice and dice and rip a board or two. I?d try it on a ?timber? but the Borg doesn?t carry any. I asked about recalcitrant wood at a local lumber supplier and just got a funny look and a shrug of the shoulders.

Other than the Glen Drake Tite-Mark marking gauge, I could find no tool in my shop that I would describe as immaculate. Take that back, the G.N.T. Gordon ebony spoke shave with the brass mouth plates would also qualify as immaculate AND elegant, as would the LN bronze beading tool.

Must be off now - timbers to rectangularize you know. Ta-ta.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Isn't there some phrase about USA and England that goes something like two countries separated by a common language?

Anyway, as I understand it, with the cost of wood being what it is over in GB, I presume there will be fewer casual woodworking hobbyist than there are in North America. It could be a few woodworking want-a-be who enjoy the hobby only by reading about it since the availability and cost of wood precludes their active participation.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

At the root of your observation is a concept increasingly less common on these shores: education.

Reply to
Swingman

Snip And there's usually an odd, at least to me, project like "turn a wine barrel tap and

I have 2 halfs of a wine barrel in my back yard. They hold dirt and plants and neither half has a spigot.

Thats cause their magazines are printed on the bigger metric pages that they can put more words "on".

it's the vocabulary, and

Don't let the accent fool you.

In all seriousness, big business here in the states could care less about correct anything when it comes to grammer. It was no suprise to me when all the banks that misspelled their names, failed. Banc Texas for instance. Who would trust their money to a business that can not spell its name properly.

I hate to admit this but I have a few Bridge City Tools tools that are immaculate. Yes I paid way way way way too much for them.

SEE YUH

Reply to
Leon

^^^^^

... and spelling too!

Always thought that was being a bit too cutesy ... and for Texas, for damn sure.

Reply to
Swingman

Let's make it more "English," shall we: "That is because their magazines are printed on the larger metric pages upon which they can place more words."

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Did you like my dangling preposition? Did yuh? LOL I was puten the Texan accent on it. There, no dangling preposition. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

You would need the powers of A Creator, or lotsa lotsa time, to accomplish such a task.

Oh, you mean a cut in wood. Never mind. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

"That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put!" (attributed to Winston Churchill)

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses