Bizarre behavior at Amazon

There have been a number of negative posts about Amazon recently. Well, this is one more.

Woodcraft has the Triton 3.25hp router for $200, while Amazon is $255. Amazon's policy on their website is that they will beat anyone's price by

10% of the difference. Not a great policy (Lowes beats prices by 10%, not just the difference), but not bad.

I tried to take them up on it, and they denied they had such a policy. I sent them a link to the policy on their website. They still denied they have such a policy.

When they resort to simply telling stupid lies, it is time to shop elsewhere; the occasional bargain isn't worth it.

Reply to
Toller

dont know bout amazon but i think i just saw that router on heartville tools site and it was on clerance. seems like the price was around 200 but dont quote me there. CRS sucks and i was looking at a whole lotta stuff today.

skeezics

never mind my previous post. just checked again and it is 269, way too much for a clearance price IMO.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I went to amazon's help pages and under pricing they say this:

Price Matching

Amazon.com does not have a price-matching policy at this time. We do, however, consistently work toward maintaining competitive prices on everything we carry.

So me thinks you have a link to an outdated page that you cannot get to from the main page, that probably shouldn't be there anymore.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Whuch you been smokin' Toller? ;-)

From Amazon's web site:

"Price Matching

Amazon.com does not have a price-matching policy at this time. We do, however, consistently work toward maintaining competitive prices on everything we carry.

Please note that in some cases our Web site offers lower prices via the used and new offerings available from Amazon Marketplace or Merchant sellers. For more information, please read our Marketplace Help section."

See:

Nova

If you want the big Triton you better jump on it as that $200 price is only about 2/3's of the regular price and about $5 more than the small Triton.

Reply to
Leon

How about if you post that link for us too?

Reply to
fredfighter

They do make mistakes with their pricing sometimes and will sell it at that price. I bought a Delta 36-L31X-BC50 X5 3HP Left Tilt Unisaw with

50" Biesemeyer for $1,343.25 including shipping. A day after I bought it the price went to $1,975 plus shipping.

If you are thinking about buying something, keep looking there and you might find is real cheap.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

Is this piss-and-moan-about-Amazon week?

so were the hell is the link you are referring to?

I'm not sure I can add any negative comments about Amazon. I buy from them frequently. In fact I got a shipment yesterday...and one the week before...no problems...good prices...what the hell is the matter with you guys??

Dave

Reply to
David

The link is right on the page for the router!

"Amazon.com's Tools & Hardware Store is committed to offering you the best possible prices on tools and equipment. We will not be undersold. If you find a better price elsewhere, we will match that price and beat it by 10% of the difference."

Could anything be clearer? Please note, they didn't claim the router didn't qualify for price matching; they said they have no such policy. Well, obviously they do.

Reply to
Toller

What's interesting is if you look under routers you will not find the triton listed, or at least i didn't. But if you search for triton it shows up. I did not find that link on any of the other routers I checked at random. So something is screwy, as I said it's an outdated link. But it does say that on the listing so they should honor it just to make you happy. They lowered the price on a delta BS about 2 weeks after I bought it and they refunded me the difference (over $100), so my experience with them has been very positive.

Btw, I see the triton on woodcraft for $215 not $200, were you factoring in their $15 off coupon?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

It sure appears so.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yes, I was; but I also factored in Amazon's $25 coupon. But since they don't have such a policy...

Reply to
Toller

I like the last line of the policy: "All price matching is at the discretion of Amazon.com's Tools & Hardware Store and is subject to change at any time." Apparently, they changed it while you were on the phone!.

todd

Reply to
todd

No, for tools they do have a price matching policy. For everything else they don't. Look on the main tools page.

That said, I've learned that it's never worth the hassle to try to take up someone on a price match. Just buy it from the better place.

I tried once to do a price match at Lowes. I didn't even care if I got the 10%.. just a match to save me driving another 20 minutes. They bitched and whined, so I just walked out and bought nothing at Lowes and everything at the second place.

I imagine on Amazon, it would be a total nightmare to try to price match, unless you enjoy talking/emailing Indian CSRs, which I despise doing.

Reply to
bf

I sent them an email just to let them know I wouldn't be shopping there in the future, after spending maybe $5,000 there over the last few years. I got this reply.

"I have reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding thus far.

We're committed to providing you the best possible prices on tools and equipment in our Amazon Tools & Hardware store. If you find a better delivery price anywhere for an item we sell, please contact us before placing your order. We will not only match the competitor's price in most cases, but we will also beat it by 10% of the difference (some restrictions apply)."

Does that sound like a sincere apology? I informed them I had already purchased the tool elsewhere.

Reply to
Toller

Well, they did respond with a favorable slant in your direction. Sincere or not it would work for me. Yes, it was sincere, they actually responded. In this day and age getting a response at all is considered sincere. LOL

Reply to
Leon

It sounds like a form letter that may even have been sent by an autoignorebot, based on keywords in your email. AOL was the first major outfit to use them but they have become legion. Some will add a random name (first name only) to the bottom of the email as a 'personal' touch.

Reply to
fredfighter

All speculation. *someone* made a mistake and *someone* else is attempting to correct it. that's all. I recently ordered an item from Rockler online - didn't have time to drive to their retail outlet. Just before it arrived, as luck would have it, I

*had* to go to the retail outlet. Imagine my surprise at finding the same item $20 cheaper. Called Rockler Customer Service and after a consul with a supervisor - CS rep told me they could do nothing but I could send the product back and buy from the retail store! Considering freight both ways, it would be a wash.

Decided to complain directly so I sent a letter to Ann Rockler Jackson - CEO of Rockler explaining the transaction. Received a call 3 days later with an apology and also received a $20 gift cert in the mail. Bottom line - the supervisor either made a mistake or misunderstood the policy.

Just fyi -

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Yes, that is speculation as well.

Or, and again this is speculation just like your comments, AR Jackson made an ad hoc decision.

Reply to
fredfighter