Amazon

Don't use them much. Something about them I don't like.

A new to me computer programme recommended some hardware to be used by it. So decided to get it. Their link took me to Amazon UK. Seller was in the US. Cost £110 with free postage. And about 3 weeks delivery. Ordered it and paid by PayPal. Thinking on, as you do, wondered about duty etc. Is that included? And not happy about the wait.

So did a search for the identical item. Found a UK seller with stock £120

- delivery stated as within the week.

Went to cancel the Amazon order. Near enough 30 minutes later. Despite them sending an order conformation by email instantly, no such thing for the cancellation. So did it again. Odd you can cancel more than once?

Got an email today.

**************

Since we have automated order processing system, orders are processed as soon as we receive them. By the time we could attend to your email, your order was already processed. Since the order is already in postal transit, we cannot reverse the address or retrieve parcel from courier. Hence, we are unable to cancel your order at this point of time.In this situation, please update us once the item is delivered to you, so that we can provide you with the return information.

**********

So it's with the courier 30 minutes after getting the order? But a courier takes 3 weeks plus to deliver?

And I've no idea why they mention an email. I cancelled it on their website.

Will I end up having to go through hoops and pay to return it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

yip and you probably have been signed up for Prime as well....tee hee

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Snip

I tried to cancel an order recently and was told I was too late although it wasn't shipped for another 24 hours. I was told that I could return the item after delivery, though. In the end I cancelled the order when the driver was about half a mile away and never saw it. If the order does arrive you won't have to pay to return it and will be given a number of options (collection/drop off/post etc) for organising its return. (That's my experience.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

On 31/01/2021 13:56, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: <snip>

If this was a Marketplace seller shipping to you then Amazon have some complicated rules about it at:

Robin

Items from amazon usually point out if they will be supplied as part of their global shipment program, if so they estimate the taxes and duty at checkout time, if they overestimate you get a refund of the difference, if they underestimate, amazon take the hit!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some/many systems in the USA seem to work on the basis that once an order has been received it prints the Fedex/UPS/USPS or whatever address/postage label there and then. I've had things from ebay, Amazon, independents that have appeared in tracking systems almost immediately after I've placed the order. I find it difficult to believe they have picked, packed etc. quite that quickly particularly as the item often (but not always) then sits for a 24 hour day or more before the "courier" picks it up. I think the problem with this is that if you try and cancel they have already paid for the "postage" at the point where they print.

Make of it what you will!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I thought GSP was ebay?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

They seem to call it "Amazon Global"

Andy Burns

Thank you.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I don't think they 'print' but that, when an order is made, their computer talks to the Fedex/etc computer to create a database entry/tracking number/etc. For larger companies, costs may not be incurred until that tracking number is scanned as collected. For example, those companies that provide a return label inside your parcel - they will only pay for the return if it's actually returned.

But Amazon's system is highly automated, so it wouldn't surprise me if the process starts as soon as you press the order button. It gets added to the pick list for someone in whatever distributor centre the item is found in. Somebody picks it, puts it in a (barcoded) crate. The crate goes down a conveyor to the packer, who puts it in a box - also with a barcode. Down another conveyor is the labelling machine which scans the barcodes, prints the corresponding address label with courier barcode and slap it on the parcel. Then it goes out to a waiting truck going in whatever direction it needs to go.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if this process begins in less than half an hour

- it'll just depend on how busy the warehouse is at the time to whether it needs to be queued up or goes out in real time. There is no advantage to holding things up, apart from smoothing out demand across the day.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks. Not much point in giving you the option to cancel, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It is possible that when the crate is unloaded and the package is scanned by the carrier it can be placed directly into a returns crate.

Reply to
Fredxx

I ordered something as a Christmas present, then discovered that my informant was wrong and the intended recipient already had the item.

I was able to cancel in excess of an hour after the order. Never saw the physical item and the refubd was very quick.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In the case I described earlier the email saying the item was out for delivery mentioned the option of cancelling, which I took, as I said, when the driver was about half a mile away.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Amazon give you tracking information so should be able to see its journey. My experience they will have limited tries at delivery. If you do catch them simply reject the package.

If there is VAT to pay they will not deliver without payment. However I am pretty sure that Amazon collect the VAT element from you in advance of customs clearance.

Reply to
Fredxx