Best source of teak in Pennsylvania

I am planning to do some outdoor items and somebody sold me the idea that teak is the best lumber for that. So, what is the best way to get reasonable quality at reasonable price in Philadelphia area? I think that I need 10 - 30 board feet for the first projects.

All recommendations for vendors and web sites are welcome. In ideal case there would be a lumber yard in 5 mile radius with a good selection - but I have not yet found that one :-)

Is it feasible to even consider to import the logs and use local sawing services?

Cheers, Ollie

Reply to
Ollie

Let me guess., The person that sold you on the idea is over 70 years old and has not bought a stick of wood in 30 years.

Right now, teak is about $15 a board foot. Cypress, Spanish cedar, white oak are all about $3.50 to $4.50. I doubt it would be feasible to import the logs. Why pay for wet wood (you pay shipping by the pound) and then saw and dry it locally?

If you have the money and teak is what you want . . . . . .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If about $15/bd-ft minimum doesn't get your attention to make another material choice, then start looking for boat yards in the area to obtain a source name from them.

These days using teak for furniture is a waste of good teak IMHO.

I love the way teak smells when you machine it, but hate to take care of it after installation, especially on a boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OK - So, no one answered your question.

Some places to try Woodcraft in Downingtown, Tague Lumber in Phoenixville (And Media & Philadelphia I think)

's Lumber in Royersford. (610) 948-4240

There may be other places to try but I suspect your best bet would be Tague. They list it in their website. Bean's is a very small shop.

Ask them if they can order it if they don't stock it.

-B

Reply to
No

MAURICE CONDON LUMBER CO

914-946-4111 250 FERRIS AVE WHITE PLAINS, NY 10603

There is no such thing as "reasonable" teak anymore. I miss the days when it was about the same as walnut. And walnut was $1.25/bf. Koa was $0.50.

hehehe...

But if you happen to be in SE Asia, you might take some back as excess baggage. It is often used for crates there.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

anymore ipe is the wood of choice about 5.00 a bf and far more durable then anything else out there for outdoor projects. but you need to watch the moisture content as the decking is usually wet.

Reply to
Steve Knight