Fluorescent shop light question

I was in the shop a couple of days ago, when one of the fluorescent fixtures stopped working. It wasn't in my line of sight at the time, but I think there was a pop and flash, followed by darkness. It's a newish fixture with an electronic ballast. I suspect that the ballast went kablooie, but I don't know how to test it, if it's even possible for me to test the output. I'd appreciate any pointers.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Swap the tubes with another fixture: if they work there, well, it's not like there are dozens of *other* parts that could have failed.

(Peel off the 'Lucas' label while you're at it, that's a good lad.)

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

The tubes are fine. I pulled the thing apart and got to thinking that unless the pull switch is busted, there really isn't much else that can go wrong other than the ballast.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Nope. So you're SOL for that light. Maybe a return/replacement, since it was new? They just don't build anything like they used to. If this trend continues, pretty soon things are going to start breaking before the manufacturer can get them packed and shipped!

Reply to
gpdewitt

If it is an heavy duty commercial fixture, buy a new ballast. If it is a typical homeowner special from the big box store, buy another for half the price of a ballast.

I have an undercounter kitchen fixture. I can buy a new fixture for 50¢ more than just the replacement bulb.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I hear ya. I have had to replace a couple of those. The last one, I could buy the fixture all over town. But no one sold a replacement bulb (tube).

GE does this. They have big, fancy displays of their fixtures. But only bulbs for a couple of them.

If you are going to buy any kind of undercounter light, check first for ECONOMICAL replacement bulbs. Then buy the fixture that matches. I am on my third fixture. The one I had before was an 18 volt, 24 inch tube. The only one I could find that matched actually cost about 50% more than the original fixture and tube.

But I can buy 15 volt, 18 inch tubes with no problem. So that is the fixture I went with. I also bought a couple replacement tubes. I am in good shape for awhile. Most of those under counter fixtures are considered to be disposable.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It used to be that you could by an HP Inkjet printer for about the same cost as a set of replacement ink cartridges. They musta got wise to that and only fill the supplied ones with a token amount of ink.

They should just give away the printers so they have a bigger market for supplies.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Not knowing any more specifics about your fixture, IMHO your best bet = both from a cost and longevity standpoint would be to replace the ballast with a universal = replacement ballast that covers the type of bulbs your fixture requires. It will run 12-17$ = at HD depending on whether or not you get a magnetic or electronic unit. The magnetic = unit will use a slight amount more power, but for a single shop light that is negligible.= The reason a universal replacement is my recommendation is because the universal must = span a range of different types of tubes and fixtures so it is likely you will get a = ballast slightly over built for your application. A class P rating is also desirable to help = insure it doesn't make too much noise and will start right up without flicker when cold. = Good luck, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy