Best Fence?

My old Unifence is pretty close to retirement. I have a line on a Cdn built General Excalibur? Does anyone have experience with that?

What else is out there? Great performance, good value... I know, buy the best and only cry once...however...

Thanks to all in advance

Rob

Reply to
RobG

I own one and it works fine. It uses two rails and fastens down on both ends of the fence. Contrary to the opinion of some that think a fence is better if it only fastens on one side like a Biesemeyer model, I've had zero problems with it and am very happy with it. It's thick and solid with two slots on top for use with jigs of various types.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Bigpole

Not as much as one might think, at least not on the tablesaw that I use. Don't forge that the rails lay almost flat on both sides of the tablesaw, so you've got almost the equivalent of a 1" bar of metal resisting any bowing.

The only beefing up that I'd done is a 2x4 spanning the two rails all the way over to the right where the legs support the end of the rails. But, you're right in one respect that if one was regularly crosscutting more than four feet off of sheets of plywood, then a little additional bolstering between the two rails might be in order.

Reply to
Upscale

I am very happy with the Shop Fox Classic on my 1023s. It is a re-engineered version of the Biesemeyer that uses heavy nylon sides. Fence and rails are heavy-duty and extended rails are available. In five years I have only had to tweak the parallel adjustment once. Several of the magazines have given it a good gradecard with the main drawback being price. It is nearly as expensive as the Bies after shipping.

Our son just purchased one of the Grizzly contractor's saws with the aluminum version of the Classic. I gave it a pretty good workout while we were finishing out his house this fall. Similar to the Classic and works well. I still prefer the Classic. But I'm an old fart - hard to retrain.

Grizzly has another that clamps on both ends and uses a micro-adjustment system. They are kind of complicated and use internal moving parts to maintain parallel. I used one in the Grizzly, Springfield store a few years ago and it was smooth as glass. However it has had some iffy reviews and the Grizzly sales-rep was even steering me away and toward the Classic.

RonB

RonB

Reply to
RonB