Best bang for ten bucks ...

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've been unimpressed by something's pricing and set out to build one of my own several times. Occasionally, it works great. 30 minutes in the shop and I've got a new tool/jig/whatever. More often than not, however, it works out that I spend more time and money trying to copy something than I would have if I had just bought the thing.

Never going to quit, however. The design part is fun and sometimes the greater understanding from attempting to build one helps when using the commercial version.

Still haven't decided if I want to copy the HF 1x30 belt sander to "improve" it... I have one, but it would be nice to have something that's easy to change belts on (that'll be the hardest part) and variable speed. Oh well, I've got other things to do.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Agreed. But fun often has to take a back seat to meeting a deadline and paying the bills ...

Reply to
Swingman

I think you're right.... and on sale for 19, maybe.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have enough real projects going that I wish I could solve more of them by throwing $10 at them.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

What in the world does Veritas and or Rob have to do with anything???

You might be shocked if you knew how much mark up there is on clothing.

Bottled water??

Those valve stems on you car wheels have at least 1,000 % mark up.

Seriously the amount of profit made on a product has absolutely no effect on whether you should buy it or not. Can you afford it or not?

Reply to
Leon

It always cracks me up when someone says, "It probably only costs them $X to make that and they're ripping us off by selling it for $XX!"

Since when does how much something costs have anything to do with what is charged for it? If that clamp cost them more than $2 to make in China, I'd be surprised. That is irrelevant.

They guy who complains the loudest is usually the one complaining about a client not wanting to pay what he wants to charge for woodworking/carpentry. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Agreed on both accounts.

Now does anyone know what issue the box joint jig that they sell plans to on the woodsmith site came from. The jig plans/parts have been out of stock... been so for a long time, maybe time to see if I can get a back issue to get the plan.

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used to this new feeling.

Reply to
tiredofspam

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Which do you want more, the widget or the money? That's the definition of "worth". Both the purchaser and the seller agree on the "worth" and are happy with the transaction (or it doesn't occur).

Reply to
krw

It self-aligns and holds the seem together without letting it slip horizontally, much better than a pipe clamp. It also (especially with the slip-nut upgrade) is much, much quicker than a pipe wrench. This isn't a big deal if you have 4 pocket screws to drive, but if you have

25, 50, 250 and a deadline, this tool is invaluable and certainly *well* worth ten bucks.
Reply to
-MIKE-

That's great news ... took me awhile just to get used to trifocals, so I can imagine the feeling.

Reply to
Swingman

In spite of the opinions to the contrary I knocked this one out in about half an hour, including head scratching (design) time. It isn't the prettiest thing but it works well and goes on or off the clamp in a minute or two. Making 4 more would probably take less than an hour.

Artemus

Make the piece on the right longer so that both piece being screwed together are sitting on that same piece and it'll do what the Rockler does.

Reply to
-MIKE-

joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Rob Lee, not Robatoy, silly.

I make a concerted effort NOT to reward the folks who make windfall profits on anything they sell, from gum on up to vehicles and homes.

Speaking of valve stems, I was starting to mow when I turned a corner and the tractor didn't follow the steering wheel. Just about that time I saw the left front tire come off the outside bead of the rim. It took me about ten minutes to go get the jack, a piece of rope, a stick, fill the pig tank, grab a chuck and the valve stem key, and hogtie the thing back into fullness of air. 5 minutes later, after everything was ut away, I continued my mowing. Things ran a whole lot smoother after that. ;)

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Absolutely.

Nah. Just redesign the belt-changer for the existing sander. My Delter

1x30 is my most-used sander.

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I certainly applaud your ingenuity, but my "opinions" on this issue were formulated having done literally thousands of pocket holes for hundreds of face frames, and from what I see in the pictures, it is doubtful that your current iteration would work consistently enough for what I do for two reasons:

Two reference edges are ideal to keep the workpieces joined properly during the operation, one usually supplied by the work surface itself, and the other provided by the clamp, which the Rockler provides in spades.

Your current iteration does not provide that ability, although it could if you do as Mike suggested.

And, what I consider the insurmountable weak point of your design, having done that many pocket holes, and used many different clamping system when doing so, I still question whether a sufficient amount of clamping force to keep the pieces aligned when screwing them together can be appliqued using that type of clamp,

The Rockler uses a screw type mechanism, which provides a tremendous amount of clamping pressure.

Nicely done though, but for ten bucks I'd still opt for and buy the Rockler in a heartbeat rather than try to make one ... which and once again, and after all for the umpteenth time:

**_was the purpose of my original post_** :)

All that notwithstanding, and providing it works for you, well done!

Reply to
Swingman

Interestingly, minutes before reading your initial post on this, I was reading a Rockler ad for this product and thought about getting it, then decided nah, I already have too much stuff I don't use/need.

Then, I read your post and said, what the heck, seemed like a good deal and I do like pocket joints. I went out and bought it, and a glue spreader. Both quality products and well worth the small price.

Thanks for the tip...

PS, I also bought a new CS, went with Makita 5007MG, not just on your advice though, I put it in my hand before buying it via the net. Your advice was in the mix though. It felt better than all the other saws, but I did want a laser light on the sucker... Oh well.

Reply to
Jack

Good point, I overlooked that. Thanks. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Reply to
Artemus