Best bang for ten bucks ...

you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today.

Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods).

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

Both, together, work very well. It seems like one without the other allows the seem to slip when the screw enters, about every other time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

inery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running= this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (a= lready have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, alon= g with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- w= ww.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http:/= /gplus.to/eWoodShop

Do you suppose they are making any money at $9.99. I suppose yes. So normal= ly $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a s= pecialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes= and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms= to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

I have a lot of fun near my home where a Harbor Freight is 20 feet away fom= Rockler.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That link states online only. It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too. Art

Reply to
Artemus

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
> Do you suppose they are making any money at $9.99. I suppose yes. So normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

I have to say, if they are making money at $10, regular price at $12 is not price gouging. They do have insurance, inventory, brick and mortar, and employees to pay.

Seriously, I highly suspect that at $10 they are still making 500% mark up and still not price gouging. You don't have to buy it, if it were something you could not live with out, then maybe price gouging.

Reply to
Leon

You save $12.00 the regular price is $21.95.

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
> Do you suppose they are making any money at $9.99. I suppose yes. So normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

You suck.

For me I have Woodcraft 1 hour away. HF 1 hour away.

Just can't get there easily.

Rockler doesn't exist for me unless it's online.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Oooooooooooooops Nevermind. Still there is normally remarkably high mark up on inexpensive products.

Reply to
Leon

Oops, thank you Rita!

Reply to
Leon

Oops, thank you Rita!

Reply to
Leon

Z snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... > >

> > If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you migh= t want to see > if they're running this in-store today. > > Stopped by and = picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the > quick r= elease and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp= , > over all other methods). > > FWIW ... > That link states online only. I= t seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device using a= block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace the fixed jaw on t= he clamp with the wood block which has the dowel inserted at the 15 degree = angle. The result is a faster and easier to operate device than the Rockler= one. Much cheaper too. Art

Actually had another thought also. I wonder if it will work well with my ma= chine made pocket holes that are at 10 or 7 degrees?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Just another reason why I wish the US border was a little closer. Anybody seen a supplier for these up in Canada?

Reply to
Dave

As I stated, I picked one up locally for the same price. It was included in a "one day sale" email flyer from our local Rockler.

Reply to
Swingman

C'mon guys ... the point of the PSA post is the ten buck price point being a 54% savings off the usual retail of a useful item.

Just holding the damned thing in your hand will convince you that it's worth ten bucks; and using as I described will convince you that it's well worth the normal retail price if you do a fair amount of pocket hole joinery.

As far as making one ... if I had to buy more than a few at retail, maybe. For ten bucks, no way in hell ...

If there's any doubt, check the prices on a suitable clamp that will exert the same necessary force, for starters.

Reply to
Swingman

How about a thank you for the heads up. I ordered 2 online. 60 miles round trip into Seattle for me so $6.99 shipping is a no brainer. Out where I live in the foothills every peckerwood tourist drives 10-15 mph under the speed limit so I would just as soon stay off the road. I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

LOL ... precisely!

Reply to
Swingman

---------------------------- Living 15 miles south of BumFuck has some costs along with the advantages.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... --

Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
>>> Do you suppose they are making any money at $9.99. I suppose yes. So normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

Regular price is $22, save $12, guys. And the $22 is gouging, IMnsHO. Who do they think they are, Veritas? (sorry, Rob, but...)

I'd probably make my own (modify the head on a a quick-release clamp like this?

) vs. buying one at the regular price.

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I built one and probably posted the pics, but that's when the thing was like 25 bucks.

Reply to
-MIKE-

IRC, it was closer to thirty, around 29.95, when it first came out.

Reply to
Swingman