bench bolt advise please

Well, obviously, as merely human as I am, I cannot afford to go fancy on the brass bench bolts from y'all-know-where though I would like to, but I think that 1" barrel nut is too small for the size stretchers I am using, which are 4x6 DF beams for the front and back. Blind M&T, peoples, that's the way to go using fluffy DF.

Yes, as I had mensioned in this NG previously that I would use wedged tenons, decided against it for the lack of strength of DF.

Tenons going in 50% and are 1" fat, I want to use two bolts per end/side per stretcher and one through the end of each side brace, three 4x4s and one doubled (glued together) 4x4 (4/8) where the end vise mounts through (dual LV tail bench screws mounted through the side brace).

I could only get the 1" width because of the limited and poorly made and designed tenon jig in adult ed. Even then, they all had to be planed down to even fit in the damn thing! ...thank God it's there tho... heh heh.......heh.....cough! ...heh

My question is on the size of the bolts, two bolts going through a leg_to_1"_tenon however far, 6" or 8" long,

should they be 3/8" or 1/2" bolts?

TIA,

Reply to
AAvK

You could probably get away with 2x6.

Fluffy? Redwood is fluffy. A bit stringy so it tears a bit when you cut/chisel/bore it, but hardly fluffy. You sure it is douglas fir?

Yes, as I had mensioned in this NG previously that I would use

compares pretty well with most hardwoods. Stiffer than cherry for example.

Couldn't you just cut them by hand?

Probably just a matter of convenience. 3/8" should be more than strong enough.

-j

I had the same dilemma building my bench. Although I decided to just peg the tennons with 1/2" walnut dowels on my trestle and stretchers, I ran all thread through the benchtop and couldn't decide what size to use. 3/8" seemed to small and 1/2" seemed too beefy, so I went with 7/16". Just felt right.

I just put the last coat of finish on my bench yesterday and will post some pics apbw soon. Good luck on yours! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

All thread is likely weaker than a high strength bolt of the same size. Maybe there is some higher strength stuff that can be had, but the stuff in the local stores doesn't look like it is that strong.

-j

through the benchtop and couldn't decide what

Just felt right.

apbw soon. Good luck on yours! --dave

You mean 'threaded rod' going through the top from front to back in several places? That's what I will do, but I want steel rod threaded only on the ends, just for where the nuts are torqued on. The purpose being for strength, where the threading causes weakness. That I can have done cheap enough, but I figure I should know what type of steel to buy. Cold roll? Stainless? Zinced...?

Your figuring on the sizing sounds good too. Did you countersink for the nuts? I know that takes away from the strength but I don't think I can have the nuts outside because of vising boards to the front, and as well for the wall the bench is up against.

Reply to
AAvK

Have you considered that threading all or a little amounts to the same thing? It will break at the weakest point. It makes no good to make some of the links of a chain stronger right?

Just buy some all thread and be done with it.

How much strength do you need that you are worried about countersinking? I think you may be overbuilding this thing.

-j