Belt Sander Story

I have an elderly 3" by 21" Rockwell #337 belt sander which I bought new a long time ago. It has served faithfully for probably 40 years (albeit not in daily nor abusive service). I use it mostly for scribing cabinets face frames to walls which are not plumb. The current version of this same tool looks like the Porter Cable #352VS. The most obvious difference appears to be that the Rockwell has a polished aluminum case while the updated PC is powder painted in the gray PC color. I recently had to have the rubber drive pulley replaced . The crown had worn off the pulley and the sander wasn't tracking properly. PC was able to repair it with currently stocked parts and also offered to buy it from me for their tool museum. Thanks but no thanks sometimes old is better. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

A local commercial tool store had an older man come in with his Black & Decker drill wanting a new cord end. They offered him any drill in the store. It was one of the first serial numbers ever made and is proudly displayed in a Plexiglas case with the original magazine ad.

Reply to
DanG

Did they name a price??

Reply to
lwhaley

No price was mentioned. I just assumed it would be less than my cost to replace my museum piece with a new model.

Reply to
GROVER

Oh man, you need to hold out for more than that a new sander at least!!! Aw shucks, then again you may as well keep the old beast since it seems to be increasing in value and still can get the job done.

Reply to
lwhaley

Tell them that you will trade for a new 352VS. Greg

Reply to
Greg O