Old PC router

I have a old PC router that hasnt been used since 85, im sure the bearings are dry, should I attempt to grease or lube them in any way before using it, im worried the top bearing would throw out grease and ruin the motor, or should I run it till they squeak and burn.

Reply to
ransley

Most PC routers are electronic, and don't have a motor. Maybe a tiny bit of cleaning of the ethernet cables, but shouldn't need heavy grease.

Since when did PC routers have bearings?

Seeing as it's 15 years old, it's probably got a rather slow baud rate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're a sealed bearing, can't really effectively lube them. I'd see what it feels like by hand and try a quick on/off test and see what sounds like.

There's really little to be lost by simply running it; either they're good still or they're not and you'll hear that very quickly.

A little thin lube could help temporarily if they're just a little dry but won't make any big difference one way or another to overall condition.

Generally, one can find replacement bearings for them at local bearing distributors fairly inexpensively w/o having to go thru PC or other mail order.

--

Reply to
dpb

Chris.... That is a Porter Cable router for wood working. Wake up. WW

Reply to
WW

You should get better answers on rec.woodworking. WW

Reply to
WW

Whooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you have a variac, mebbe run it slowly to begin with, as whatever lube is in the bearings may not be uniform, at this point.

Or, mebbe wire it in series with a toaster or other power tool, to get some voltage drop. Easy to do if you have some spare receptacles on a shelf someplace. 49c at HD.

PC is generally good stuff, worth fixing if necessary.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I originally thought that was some mormon humor... well, hoping it was humor..... If it wadn't..... holy shit....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I've got a very well running PC (was called Rockwell at the time it was purchased) 3" x 21' belt sander (Cat. # 337). It was one of the first power tools I acquired. It has a polished aluminum housing rather than the current powder coated one. I took it into PC in Houston several years ago to have the rubber drive roller replaced. They offered to buy it for their museum. I chose to have it fixed and it still running. Those old tools may not have al the bells and whistles of the new ones but if you treat them kindly they out last us.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Well, routers also spin at 20,000+ rpm.

Mebbe another idea to re-distribute the grease in un-used bearing is to somehow put the arbor of the router in the chuck of a 1/2 drill, and spin it like that for a few minutes.

Could be kind of paranoic, but it also couldn't hurt.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Because it's been sitting unused for 20-some years, perhaps??? :)

It can be a big difference between age w/ exercise and "just sitting"--the lubricant will harden w/ age. It _probably_ will be ok if given a little time to break in again but then again, maybe not... :( I've had both experiences with old tools picked up at garage/estate sales, etc.; some do and some don't. One doesn't know the condition at last time of use either, of course...

All in all, as before, there's little to be lost in giving it a go and see how it fares...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 3/27/2010 6:10 AM ransley spake thus:

Why do you think the bearings would dry out? They're sealed ball bearings, no doubt. It's not as if the grease is going to be suddenly thrown out by centrifugal force or anything.

Just to give an example of the longevity of such bearings, let me introduce my vacuum cleaner. I have a Kenmore upright that I bought for $10 circa 1980. The cleaner is probably 30 years older than that. It still works perfectly well, having the same kind of universal motor and sealed ball bearings found in your router.

So I wouldn't sweat it. As someone else suggested, spin the shaft by hand to feel what the bearings are like. If it spins smoothly, just use it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2010 9:03 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

So does my vacuum cleaner. Same type motor.

Totally unnecessary. Both you and the OP are overthinking this.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

PC as in Porter Cable - and that old it WAS actually Porter Cable- not the crappy quasi-Black and Decker crap that gets the name put on it today.

Reply to
clare

Run it until it fails.

You can get brand new imports for very little.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Looked like a personal computer data router, to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm hoping someone will say "Hey, Ransley, more information is good."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ive got about 14 different 1980s Rockwell and PC tools, Its nice seeing a Made in USA stamp on them.

Reply to
ransley

I dont think totaly sealed and soneone else I met said same, I forced grease in a Rockwell saw yesterday , it looks sealed but grease went in.

Reply to
ransley

Porter Cable -- PC.

Reply to