Old PC router

I would rather repress bearings and keep that Made in USA sticker than by some china crap thats a cheap PC knock off.

Reply to
ransley

You were kidding on the computer thing, werent you.

Reply to
ransley

You were totally not specific with your information, weren't you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd (and have in the past) gladly spend twice what a cheap Chinese piece of crapola costs to refurb a good piece of honest North American machinery..

Reply to
clare

Politically Correct -- PC.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So, Ransley wants to grease politically correct routers? That makes for mental images that are not G-rated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the technique? Dab of grease on your finger, and keep mashing it toward the berring and the shaft? Spray some white lith? Greasegun and injector needle?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In case you haven't noticed there are one or two smart-a**s here. On any given day I am too :^}

However, you do have a couple of good comments above. Turn the shaft by had for a minute or two and if it feels reasonably smooth blip the switch a few times. Listen to the router carefully as it slows down. If you don't hear, or feel, signs of roughness, start it up and let it run for a few seconds. Still no noise --- go ahead and try it with wood.

Sealed bearings are sealed and the lubrication might be as good now as when the machine was new. If you feel roughness or if the motor sounds like it is straining, or slowing down with power applied, park it and order some new bearings.

I have a 70's vintage Craftsman that was stored for years. I was thinking about buying another router to supplement up my other machines a few years ago and remembered it. I started using it again after several years in the box and it has never missed a beat.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On 3/27/2010 1:41 PM ransley spake thus:

Well, I don't know about *totally* sealed. Probably not a hermetic seal, just a pretty good one. If you can force some grease in, all the better.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2010 5:37 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

"Berring"? wut, du u spel foneticaly?

They make tools for regreasing bearings, but I don't have one. I've tried the "smooshing" technique, which will get a little grease in there, which is better than nothing.

Question: Do you ever intend to stop top-posting and fix your broken news message formatting? You're the odd man out here, you know.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"DanG" wrote in news:40Qrn.129233$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

Hey,dumbass,the problem is reading the thread after a few posts have been added to it.Do YOU read bottom to top? you destroy the thread's continuity,if you can understand that big word.

Top posting is a no-no in UseNet convention.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

No, I will continue to top post, thank you. If you aren't bright enough to remember the previous post, I did include it at the bottom.

You won't get any grease pushed into a sealed bearing like those used in the man's router. You will destroy the bearing attempting it unless you can devise some way to drill a small non-destructive hole in the metal seal through which you might be able to add some lube to the bearing. Knowing what grease, what viscosity, etc requires additional research.

The bearing costs about $2. You need to disassemble the router to get to the bearings. I can't imagine it being remotely cost effective to try to re-lube one.

Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
DanG

plonk me now. I've been top posting on usenet for over 10 years. I've never seen any sense in scrolling through multiple paragraphs to find someone's one or two word comment. I resent the need to do so, but suffer through it to accommodate the retarded people that can't remember what they read yesterday.

Tomatos/Tomatoes

I would much prefer to be praised or lambasted based on my contributions, knowledge of trade, or lack thereof. I usually only post when I thin my answer will be helpful to someone on a subject that I do for a living everyday. I'm sorry to have spent this much time on this stupidity.

Reply to
DanG

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 01:16:30 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote Re Re: Old PC router - how to add grease to a berring:

+1 on that.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

So when they say, "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea, they're talking about power tools?

Reply to
mkirsch1

I honestly didnt think, I guess my mind is on tools. but mentioning bearings needing grease points away from that computer thing, I can see how my statement of PC router should have been clearer, sorrry.

Reply to
ransley

It actualy went in my old circ saw in the bearing when I forced in some, but a router has a bearing on the top and any leaking out will ruin the commutator and brushes I think, It runs great no noise but I want to do alot of heavy use with it so Im trying to be cautious and hopefully not burn out the bearings, my manual says its greased for life, but its old and im sure the grease is dry.

Reply to
ransley

You may want to find out if replacement bearings are available. I have been known to the replace bearings on old but working equipment for the same reason. I didn't want it to seize up on me one day and ruin something that couldn't be replaced.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

On 3/29/2010 12:26 PM ransley spake thus:

If the bearings seem OK, they probably are. They will let you know pretty clearly when they're ready to go: they will start making bad noises, and they usually don't fail catastrophically. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find replacements pretty easily, maybe even somewhere nearby that has them in stock. (There's an Ace hardware store near me that has whole selection of replacement ball bearings.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, that would be Porter Cable. See? I'm slowly learning.

Windows 7 are double pane, argon insulated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon