PC 690 Router History

Can anyone tell me how recently Porter-Cable sold a 9-amp fixed-speed version of the 690/693 router?

I found a 690/693 combo kit at an estate sale for $100 that looked as though it had never been taken out of its case. A friend of mine has been looking for a good buy on a router, so I went back with him the second (50%-off) day and he bought it for $50.

The amperage (marked prominently along with 1-1/2 horespower on the outer cardboard box) seemed low, so I looked in some books and magazines dating back to about 1993 and I couldn't find any reference that showed it at less than 10 amps. I know they made that model for many years, so I assume a 9-amp one must predate my references.

I'm starting to think that my friend has an almost 20-year-old brand-new router!

Reply to
Chris Wolf

Are there any dates printed in the owners manual?

Reply to
Leon

I had asked him if he could find any dates and he said no.

Reply to
Chris Wolf

I'm not sure how you'd find out, but is the date somehow integrated in the serial number?

Sounds like a fun little mystery.

Reply to
Joe

I must have a copywrite date ...a good place to start?

Reply to
ded_kenney

If it helps to extrapolate, I have a "90th Anniversary" 90690 body that, IIRC was purchased in 1996. Makes sense because I believe PC was started in 1906.

This particular 690 says 10 amp on the plate.

Reply to
Swingman

Keith Bohn over at

will have a good bit of info on older PC routers.

Of course Porter Cable would be a source of info also.

Reply to
Pat Barber