router base problem

i have a 690 PC router... part of the 693 kit.... and i mounted the base on my router table. it has a spring release clip so it is supposedly easy to adjust and remove. i find it very difficult to adjust the router in the base.. it screws up or down... like it is catching on something. i have inspected the tract and it appears clean and debris free, but looks ragged, like the bit they used to mill the slot was off. anyone recommend what i can do to smooth it out so that adjust to the router motor is easier? i like the table... it is a rockler and i got one of the 1/4" aluminum base plates made specifically for the pc 690. but i am having a bitch of time adjusting the router. thanx for your help.

Reply to
WARRENRN1

You may want to check Pat Warner's site

for this problem. I recall Pat writing about this problem in the rec and I believe he addresses this issue in one of the articles on his site. I don't recall what the "fix" was but I wax both the outside of the motor housing and the inside of the base on mine and haven't experienced this problem (yet...)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Similar problem on my big PC. A little work on some of the rough spots with some 220 wet-or-dry helped a lot.

Reply to
Jimlemon

It's only a problem if you choose to view it that way :-)

Yeah, my PC under-table base mount for the motor isn't silky-smooth either. It's probably just as raggedy and bumpy as yours -- and I've been using/adjusting mine nearly every day for over two years now. (Not much need to worry about wear!) Slather on a good thick gob of JPW in the grooves and keep the motor and mount well waxed. That will help.

Seriously, it seems like it's a heck of a problem but it isn't -- you'll get used to it (but hey, one can get used to getting lynched after the first few times). I really don't have any problem setting the router bit height to exactly where I need it to be in spite of that gravely spiral adjustment.

BTW, I recently got a Rockler router table & fence etc. and find it to be highly over-rated and particularly _not_ a good "bang for buck" value.

Reply to
Steve

Generally, the problem comes from oxidation of the aluminum. Use fine sandpaper such as 400 wet or dry, or 0000 steel wool to clean off the oxidation, then apply a coat of wax. Also, there may be some grease that needs to be cleaned off first. Since doing this, I haven't had a problem with my routers sticking.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas