Before I leap, let me ask around! Buying the Grizzly G0478, any current owners out there?

That is also a consideration with the Hybrid. 1. It's new and I found it odd, that no trade publications have reviewed it yet. Everybody waits with baited breath for a new piece. I did find a good user review on Amazon. Of all the saws, I liked the General over all of them, and the Jet Super Saw was pretty neat, but if you weigh all the pro's and con's, Grizzly's price advantuage. Simply gives you more saw for your money!

BUT it is a table saw this in and of itself, should spell out never needing to fix. I take excellent care of anything I buy especially my guns and tools. If I can get 28 years out of most of my tools Circular/ Drills/Sabre and a 99 dollar table saw. I feel pretty confident that breakage and service aren't a real big issue, and if it does I can fix it one way or another.

M&A's only work for the Investment Bankers, never the customer or employee's.This "planned obsolescence,buy and dump" is in EVERYTHING, even home appliances have all dropped the warranty period. This is the fact that we have been downgraded from citizens to simply consumers. I owned an RCA

25" color tv for 23 years and gave it to my buddy for his basement, he got a few years and I think the moisture simply got to it! My First HDTV lasted 2 months past warranty. Duh Extended Warranty What's that? The object is simply to discover anyway they can think of to get or even take ones money!

just wait until tools get like software and computers. each quarter buy new tools!

Jim

Reply to
Tall Oak

It will be kind of interesting to see how the hybrids take off in sales. I am not sure who started the hybrid movement but the first one I noticed was Delta. I suspect Delta saw some of their sales going to Grizzly. Also, Sears came out with a so-called cabinet saw a couple of years ago; and the Dewalt heavy duty machines might have nipped at Delta sales (it in itself is a hybrid of sorts). All of these products sold well below the $1,500 to

1,700 price of the Unisaw at the time.

It is hard to see how Sears could justify the $1,100 price tag on their "professional 10" saw" because the ones I looked at in the store looked a lot like their lighter weight home shop saw with a better fence and a pretty skirt. The Griz 1023, on the other hand, was a pretty good attempt to re-engineer the Unisaw in a form that was available 10 years ago.

I think the hybrids can fill a good nitch for the user that wants to move up from lighter-weight equipment but not commit $2,000 in doing so. This also fits Grizzly's strategy. Cut out the retail chain, let the buyer pay shipping and offer good products with less distribution expense.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I'm doing a comparison now examining the General 50-220C ~$899. I think I'd grab the General Contractor over the Grizzlys Contractor, but still the Grizzly Hybrid is both a blessing and a concern, something about the drive mechanism that I have to look over a little more carefully, but still a better cost! I'd like to know who is doing the manufacturing for Grizzly overseas, I could atleast see who the manufacterer builds for or have someone go visit for me. China is most likely doing the grunt work in the least, the castings, I'll have to ask around I have relatives who own a couple of shops in HK & Mainland.

As for Craftsman, I just feel sorry for them. Honestly they could have easily dominated the US tool market with all their stores, but as it helped build the Sears/Craftsman label, the desire to expand both market place and product line. Something had to give and it was just the tools, appliances are next.. When I looked at Craftsman saws a few years back and just noted how sad it was.

The bottom line being when you accept less, your going to get less and that goes for tools, coffee and even freedom, it's not about the product, but what they can sell you and what you'll buy! Quality is always the first to go!

Reply to
Tall Oak