Any Grizzly bandsaw owners ?

I am considering the new Grizzly G0513 and wanted the opinion of other Grizzly bandsaw owners. I currently own a Grizzly dust collector and am happy with the quality of it.

Thanks, LFW

use this email address for reply snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
L. Wilson

Have had one (14" w/ riser) for about 2 years now... so far it has done everything that I've asked of it. Including some pretty serious re-sawing which made me a bit nervous, but all went well.

With small blades, it runs smooth as silk... However, deeper blades Say, 1/2" or more, it kind of fludumps along, almost like the weld on the blade was too heavy. The stock fence was a piece of crap, fabricated a replacement. The dust collection was wholey inadaquate, but there was a cure for that too.

As the saw sits right now, I'm very happy with it for the money spent.

Good Luck, Lex

L. Wils> I am considering the new Grizzly G0513 and wanted the opinion of other

Reply to
lex

I also have the 14" w/riser. I had a terrible time with it using the 1/2 and 3/4" blades I bought from grizzly. After I switched to the Timberwolf blades however, all my "setup" problems went away and it worked great. Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't even attempt to set it up with a grizzly blade. It didn't help that this was my first bandsaw and I didn't understand what was blade problems and what was set up problems.

I agree that the old bandsaw fence is all but useless. The new fence on the white Grizzly looks significantly better.

As for power, I ripped 2x10s (to make 1/2" x 10s) in pine easily. The largest hardwood I've cut so far is some 6" white oak which it did almost as fast as I could rip it on the table saw.

Jim

lex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nafco.net:

Reply to
Jim

Great advice! I was thinking that I made a HUGE mistake by purchasing the Grizzly G0555 until I took a fellow NGers advice and bought some "Timberwolf" blades.

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

I have the 14" w/out the riser. I have had similar experiences as these guys (good saw, lame fence, no big whoop).

I did have one problem though, a hidden manufacturing defect caused the tensioning mechanism to self-destruct after two years. There was a screw hole drilled through the sliding track, and the screw was tight against a moving part, burrowing into it.

Grizzly sent me replacement parts free of charge even though I was out of warranty. The saw has fully recovered and, not surprisingly, is a lot easier to tension now :)

Certainly worth the $279 I paid for the saw.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Have had my 19 inch 5014 for about 4 months now. Ordered it when the price was 950 and waited while it was backordered. They dropped the price to 900 so I opted to go to the end of the line and wait. It is my first bandsaw but it works flawlessly so far. Don't yet have a tablesaw, just a radial arm saw so I now do alot of the more dangerous tasks on the bandsaw, what a relief! Got 3 timberwolf blades (3/16,

1/2 and 1 inch), I do some green wood cutting of logs after using my alaska mill. The quality is pretty good in my opinion, the fence looks a little lightweight, but have had no problems. Cuts straight as an arrow with the half inch blade with no detectable angle from the fench angle and the 2 HP motor seems happy as a clam. Had to put my own cord on, got 15 feet of 10/3, easy to wire in. Made a resaw fence from 3/4 inch birch ply and a 2 by 4 foot outfeed table so far. Will make a circle cutting jig soon. Have cut some redwood sticks about 3 inches in diameter into "veneer". After flattening one side, piece of cake to slice the redwood into 1/16 inch slices, I was trying to get it thin enough to be translucent for a 3 sided wall lampshade after seeing the little piece on DIY about the guy who starts with a 150 pound stump and makes a 1/4 pound, very thin lampshade. The red part of the redwood needs to be much thinner than the sapwood to be transparent so have to do some sanding after cutting to less than 0.050 inches. This saw costs a little more than most 14 inchers, but I didn't like the idea of adding a block (I have 12 inch resaw height), wanted a bigger table, most importantly wanted to use a 1 inch blade for resawing with proper tension and you can never have enough horsepower. For $50, it was easy for me to justify the larger table and cutting width, you have to decide if it is worth $100. good luck, jaime
Reply to
Jaimesummer

Had the 14" fopr a few years and it was fine. In a fit of spending power I bought the 15" and sold the 14". The 15" (welded style frame) is good too and the fence is better by far. I like two speeds too as I use the slower speed for cutting brass. (I make church stuff as well as furniture). Amen to the Timberwolf comment! Wish I hadn't been such as spending wimp and had bought the 16". It looks like a really solid item. Paul

Reply to
Paul