B.S. by Famiy Handyman magazine.

See my response to Bill upthread. Having run the numbers, you've merely solidified my gut notion: this magazine is circling the drain.

I'm not celebrating this because I'm sure someone values this publication. But they'd best reinvent themselves and their business model damn fast.

Reply to
Steve

Yeah, that's why I stopped reading several magazines, too. That and that they either doubled their price for the glossed-over crap or halved their annual issues.

I still take PopWood and TFH because they're cheap and of occasional interest. The ads are half the reason I continue them, too. I like to keep up with the technology of jigs and tools, and have utilized the concepts they bring to make my own setups or alter the way I do things. I get 2 or 3 years of mags for $10 total on eBay.

I get several trade mags free of charge, and they're mostly worth the price. I laugh at the list price JLC (Journal of Light Construction) wants for their scripts, but take it for a year when it goes on 1/4 price sale. It's pretty good, as are FWW and FHB, but they're not worth full price to me. I got the JLC mag collection on CD for 1/4 the price FWW or FHB wants for theirs, and it feels more germane to me than FWWs. I don't do a lot of (hah, ANY!) period furniture with 5,000 pieces of minute adornments.

(YMMV, Leon.)

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

108 minus 57ish leaves 51 pages of content, according to your original post, for October. 128 minus 47ish leaves 81 pages of content for November. Therefor the total content increase is 81/51 = 1.59(ish), multiply by 100 to get percent and it becomes 159%, a 59% increase over the content pages from October.

I think you're suffering from that metric system all y'all use.

Reply to
Roy

OK, amateur statistician mode acknowledged. I did it backwards.

LJ--carefully inching away...

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, you can now be mathematically pissed they were trying to pull a fast one.

Now doesn't that sound more natural than carefully millimetering away??

Reply to
Roy

Hey, I already KNEW that.

Only because I grew up working in inches. I find both systems workable.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't understand. I've never even been -in- Tennessee.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There must be a catch, I wouldn't pay to watch a tennissee match.

Reply to
Bill

Do they light-up when you strike them, the same as other American matches, Eddie?

Sorry... Bill.

---------

Reply to
m II

I thought it sounded like something Groucho Marx might say/sing. If you say the secret word I'll send down the duck...lol.

Reply to
Bill

Made my day to watch the Texans kick the Tennessee Traitors ass today.

Reply to
Roy

Corporate America.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"long distance information ..."

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

------------------------------------- The list of pro sports "traitors" is quite long.

Starting with Baseball:

In no particular order:

The Braves have moved from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta.

The Athletics have moved from Philadelphia to Oakland with a stop some where else I can't remember.

The St Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles.

The Washington Senators became the Texas Rangers with a stop some where else I can't remember.

Another Washington team became the Seattle Mariners with a stop some where else I can't remember.

Can't remember if the Expos were an expansion team or not but now they are in Washington DC.

Switching to football:

The Rams started in Cleveland, then Los Angeles and now St Louis.

The Cardinals started in Chicago, then St Louis and now Phoenix.

The Colts started in Baltimore then snuck out of town in the middle of the night to Indianapolis.

The Browns started in Cleveland then snuck out of town in the middle of the night to Baltimore and became the Ravens thanks to Art Model.

There are more but you get the idea.

Don't follow basketball but there have been more moves than teams.

Somehow the Lakers and Los Angeles just don't seem to fit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew you left out Mexico moved to the USA.

Reply to
Leon

They hired an MBA who showed them how to save money and bullshit you about what great deal your getting. What they were attempting to do is, tell you to go hell and make you look forward to the trip.

I watched an ad on TV where a guy claimed to have saved an olive producer 86,000$ by leaving one olive out of the jar. In no nonsense terms, he shorted the customer. He was so proud of himself, he was advertising his service.

In a Ford boardroom, an MBA very seriously asked why a wheel needed five bolts to hold a wheel on, when one would do. His remarks were met with incredulous awe. Apparently, he demonstrated the acme of know nothing ignorance and stupidity to the wrong crowd.

Be aware that these weasels are into everything and are part of the corporate culture.

You could call a lawyer to find out if this breach of contract and if so, bring a class action suit forward. If your not into that, then spread the word to all media sources at your disposal.

cselby

Ahhh class action lawsuits. Another useless thing. The only people that get repaid are the attorneys. They get paid very richly everyone else gets dirt.

I had an RCA TV that everyone had the same problem with. Cost me $150 to repair it each time. All because it was missing a Heat Sink. The class action lawsuit allowed me to reclaim a coupon for $50 off my next purchase. So it cost me $150 twice, but I get $50 off my next purchase??? Needless to say... no more RCA products..

I have a few of those stories. My car... The dealer pulled a fast one and was caught. The class action suit gets me $20 off licensing my next car. The ripoff was for $100. I didn't get the money back, and $20 doesn't cover the loss.

Yep, the low life attorneys make out, and we .... we get the shaft.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I figured if I told 2 friends, and each of them told 2 friends, etc., then the person/people who made the decision would be destined to regret it. I'm not into creating litigation, but feel free.

Reply to
Bill

We're up to at least 19. Here are more written opinions:

Bill

One WILL do the job. Problem being it might be more expensive than five.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser